Stp. Arnika AOK 15 KVA B - Ghyvelde

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
myt1prod

Stp. Arnika AOK 15 KVA B - Ghyvelde

Post by myt1prod » 13 Feb 2021, 16:22

Hello,

This stronghold was discussed earlier on this forum in several topics concerning specific constructions within this stronghold, but no general topic exists for this often forgotten stronghold. As al the bunkers have been sealed for many years and 90% of the remaining constructions are on private grounds / nature reserve, it is easy to forget about this stronghold.

I made this detailed map of the Stp. Arnika using GoogleEarth satelite-images as a base on which I projected NCAP 1944, ING 1948, ING 1957, ING 1962 and LIDAR aerials/images giving these results.
The stronghold had only 2 Regelbau constructions but many other VF and mostly FA constructions scattered all over the place amongst which many garages and one quite unique Vf horsestable (Vf Pferd). The stronghold also made use of the British and French MG-bunkers which surrounded the stronghold and all date back to the 'phoney war' / 'drôle de guerre' or the build up to this pre-war period.
Next to the commonly known constructions (to some) of this stronghold, many other constructions, trenches and firing positions were or still are present as seen especially on the 1944 aerial and LIDAR-images. Close to the commonly known FlaK-OB (most eastern) and it's destroyed counterpart the 1944 aerial suggest that a third FlaK-OB of the same model was present which is supported by blury traces on other aerials.

Little known was that there was a second part to the Stp. Arnika, therefore possibly a Wn. or Zwn. Both Arnika and this position where surrounded by a single Sperre which also seperated both parts from each other. Within this position all constructions seem to be FA-constructions with only thin walls. All constructions have been demolished by now but the rubble of the upper building is still hiding under a mount of earth near the entrance of the now accisible part of the small forest. On this buildings roof the IGN 1948 aerial suggest a possible ringstand 58c (or other type with similar dimensions) standing on the roof. The lower part of this possition was dotted with several OB's some of which I could confirm for 100%, others with less certainty, so hard to say how many OB's where standing here. Due to their size, and as it is known their was a FlaK-battery assigned to the position of Arnika at the latest stages of the war, this could be a FlaK-gruppe. In the grass near the nowadays houses a depression can be found with some concrete rubble inside which fits the exact position of these OB's. The longest buillding on the left could well be the old trainstation of Ghyvelde re-used by the Germans; during WW1 a railroad ran straight up from this position in the direction of Bray-Dunes and the old trainstation mentioned on WW1-maps seems to fit the position of this long building.
overlay Arnika blank map small.jpg
overlay Arnika blank map vegetatie small.jpg
overlay Arnika sateliet small.jpg
And as some of you perhaps notice... the NCAP 1944 which I bought even gives some new constructions for the Stp Aal. Which I haven't found in my overlay I posted some weeks ago as this overlay was only based on aerials dating as far back as 1957 and not the war itself. So an update of the Stp. Aal will folow soon.

Jean

myt1prod

Re: Stp. Arnika AOK 15 KVA B - Ghyvelde

Post by myt1prod » 13 Feb 2021, 16:25

some more detailed views
overlay Arnika blank detail 1.jpg
overlay Arnika vegetatie detail 1.jpg
overlay Arnika sateliet detail 1.jpg

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 13 Feb 2021, 16:25

and more...
overlay Arnika blank detail 2.jpg
overlay Arnika vegetatie detail 2.jpg
overlay Arnika sateliet detail 2.jpg

myt1prod

Post by myt1prod » 13 Feb 2021, 19:24

What do you guys think....?

Concerning the many trenches... to me it seems a lot of trenches according to WW2 standards? No?

Fact is that even during WW1 many trenches were to found in the area. A blury WW1 aerial by Cnock clearly shows trenches a bit more to the east of the position of what is to become Stp. Arnika, to be more precise on the location of the what is to become the Stp. Aal. The aerial is too blury to see if there were also WW1 trenches in the smalll forest, but it can be assumed noticing the other clearlly visible trenches in the area. We know for a fact that the many trenches in the neighboring domain Cabour on the Belgian side of the border are mostly WW1 and very few WW2.
So I wonder, and I'm rather convinced, that this is also the case with the many trenches inside the forest of the Stp. Arnika.

If anyone can provide some WW1 aerials or maps of the regeion, this would be very welcome! Thanks ahead

a very quick and rough overlay of this blury WW1 aerial on a GoogleEarth satelite-image shows where the clearly visible WW1 trenches could be found. Nowadays no clear traces of these trenches are visible on GE.
ww1 trenches AAL.jpg

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”