DB Level on AT/Artillery pieces.

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Eightball

DB Level on AT/Artillery pieces.

Post by Eightball » 29 Jun 2003 20:32

Does anyone have, or does anyone know the desibel level of the bang made by let's say the 88mm? Or where such information could be found? AT and artillery pieces would be my area of interest on this subject.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 01 Jul 2003 00:01

I don't think decibel range covers it. The hyper-sonic screech of high-velocity tank bullets is a lovely sound but humans only hear part of it.

Concussion effects of large cannons can kill you but that is not a decibel level either.

Tank cannons are about as loud as a big jet engine so I would say they have a similar decibel level.

Sorry I only shot them , I can't remeber any OSHA notes on how loud they were.

moses

Post by moses » 01 Jul 2003 05:33

i don't have this kind of information, but i thought the attached chart was interesting nonetheless

it describes the muzzle concussion of the guns on board the yamato battleship
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 01 Jul 2003 12:59

ChristopherPerrien wrote:I don't think decibel range covers it. The hyper-sonic screech of high-velocity tank bullets is a lovely sound but humans only hear part of it.

Concussion effects of large cannons can kill you but that is not a decibel level either.

Tank cannons are about as loud as a big jet engine so I would say they have a similar decibel level.

Sorry I only shot them , I can't remeber any OSHA notes on how loud they were.

I see. But surely any cannon, when fired, must produce a loud sound that can be measured in DB? I realize there are other factors, as you pointed out, that makes firing a cannon a hazard.

If it makes a sound as loud as a jet engine, I would believe hearing problems weren't a rare thing.
Thanks for the info!

K-218

Post by K-218 » 04 Jul 2003 18:40

If I can remember correctly the Finnish heavy RCL 95S58-61 makes a sound of 190(!)DB which makes it the loudest weapon in FDF arsenal at the moment. The old Obuhoff 300mm coastal cannon makes about the same sound in DBs. Hope this helped :)

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”