Wurzburg-Riese Amsterdam

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Nectar

Wurzburg-Riese Amsterdam

Post by Nectar » 18 May 2022 21:55

Years ago I found this radarstation just inside of the Landfront of Amsterdam. On the aerial pictures there are two Wurzburg-Rieses seen in the flat polders. No other radar is visible, but as Gyges states, some are hard to find on aerials.

In all those years I have found zero on this. There is absolutly nothing to be found on this station anywhere. No mention of it in local history, resistance reports, archives or books. Even the new book about radar in the Netherlands mentions nothing about this station.

Does anyone has something usefull concerning further research as to find out something about this presumable very late radarstation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T. A. Gardner

Re: Wurzburg-Riese Amsterdam

Post by T. A. Gardner » 19 May 2022 01:58

While this is just speculation at this point, it sounds like these were part of a Himmelbrett box used with the Kammhuber line or a successor to that. That is, one radar would be put on a bomber to track it, while the other would track a nightfighter and the ground controllers associated with these radars would then guide the nightfighter by radio into an interception. There would also be a Freya radar associated with the site.

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 19 May 2022 09:51

Hello

Is the location known?

Is there anything to see on the location today? Or on aerial photos after 1945 ??

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 19 May 2022 16:51

No, there's nothing to be found anymore. In the 60's the area has been transformed into the Western Harbours of Amsterdam. Only a little piece of Sloterdijk and the railway remembers on how it was.

I have not seen aerials from after the war. But like most it would have probably been cleared very quick to reuse the meadows. The resistance only noted some fortifications on the entrance through the Landfront, just left of the station. So probably it was already demolished just after the war.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 19 May 2022 17:34

My own interpretation of the aerial-photo's.

Archie

Post by Archie » 20 May 2022 18:25

Maybe can this help. Photo is a part from a artwork in the Stedelijk Museum of Amsterdam
Sloterdijk-min.jpg

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 20 May 2022 19:41

Thanks, I know this map. It's an compilation of resistance charts. But it contains many errors. Only a little part is seen of where the station was. But nothing is noted there, as seen on this original on which this map is based.

Again. There is zero (!) info on this station. Nothing in the archives. Nothing in books. I found it by accident on the WUR aerial photo's.

The lack of infrastructure, no barracks (I can only see farms and civil buildings), so close to the Landfront and no resistance-reports make me conclude it must be very late war. It wasn't that big station in comparison to other stations.

Other pic is the northest WR

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 20 May 2022 19:43

and

nordfriese

Post by nordfriese » 26 May 2022 20:37

Hi!

Because the Würzburg-Riese-posts of Helle Nachtjagd were almost exactly
30 km from each other (from Nachtjagdraum 1 to 9 and 10 to 12), this post
makes no sence to me with the surrounding posts.

This post is absolutly unknown as you already wrote, so my guess is a kind
of research-post (as the one at Arnhem) or a post of Flugsicherung (Air
Traffic Control) for bad weather.
In Germany the Germans used not only the "small" Würzburg for bad-weather-
inflight-control, but for some airfields also the Riese. But these single Würzburg-
Riese were only between two to three kilometers from the airfield. The shown
position is 12 km from Schiphol and Schellingwoude (both) as the next important
"airfields".

Best wishes and stay healthy
Rolf

TiesG

Post by TiesG » 26 May 2022 20:53

Maybe a Kriegsmarine radarstation? There was one in the north of Groningen and the only structures overthere were two basements for a Würzburg-Riese. No barracks, nothing.

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 27 May 2022 07:39

Thanks for the replies. It could be it has something to do with the nearby station at Ruigoord?

KM could also be an option, but from this location there is no sight on the Nordsea or the IJ/IJsselmeer. So that seems a little less probable.

nordfriese

Post by nordfriese » 27 May 2022 12:08

Hi!

Three problematic words: could have been

FuSZ Halfweg/Ruigoord could have been the transmitting-post of "Flugsicherungszentrale Holland"
together with Peildorf Hoofddorp and its (at least) five Adcock-DFs. Halfweg/Ruigoord appears
on no (to me) exsisting lists of FUSZ.
But this doesn*t explain the appearance of these two "strange" WRs...

Could you please mark the two positions of the WR on your aerial-pictures?

Best wishes
Rolf

Nectar

Post by Nectar » 27 May 2022 14:46

Hi Rolf!

Hereby the locations. On the WUR site you can zoom in better and view other dates of aerial-pictures.

Regards,

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”