Kurzzeitsperre

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
jopaerya

Kurzzeitsperre

Post by jopaerya » 08 Jun 2022, 09:48

Always thought this device was the 8.6 cm RaG but looking at the drawing this weapon was very different .
This Kurzzeitsperre was made by Rheinmetall Borsig and from what I understand there were more versions
depending how height the rocket would go, 300 meter , 500 meter and 1000 meter, the rockets were connected
with a wire and had a parachute so a barrage could be made against low flying aircrafts by a object . ( BAMA )
Here the drawing of the rocket and a part of the KTB Seeko Süd-Holland about the use of these Kurzzeitsperre .

Regards Jos
Attachments
axis 180 (2).jpg
Axis 2721.jpg

Grzesio

Re: Kurzzeitsperre

Post by Grzesio » 08 Jun 2022, 10:53

I always thought, the name Kurzzeitsperre, abbreviated as KZS, meant wire barrage rockets, but now it seems it were not always rockets - great find!
The KTB however explicitly refers to Raketenkurzzeitsperre, most probably 8,6 cm rockets indeed, while the K'sperre 300 m weapon in the drawing does not look like a rocket, rather like a kind of a mortar - one can clearly see a massive barrel (27) containing a propelling charge (22), and an unpowered projectile loaded onto the barrel by means of an internal shaft (6), containing an electric primer (7) with wires (1). There's yet another primer (8), that feeds flame into the shaft 6 and into the upper part of the projectile (13) - most probably initiating parachute ejection system. I'd speculate, the primer 8 ignites the delay train 9, which, in turn ignites the ejecting charge, that fires the piston 12 out of the tube 11 (or, possibly, the number 9 is the ejecting charge and the delay was by assured by the time needed for gas pressure to build-up inside the parts 8 and and 13); the piston pushes at the ballistic cap 4 through the wooden block 23, tearing the cap off the projectile and releasing whatever was located under the cap. :)

Is there an explanation of all the numbers? What is the length of this thing, as I cannot read it - 851 mm? 8O

German wire barrage rockets are, on the other hand, a very interesting and extremely obscured topic - a number of types existed, some were used in combat, but hardly any details are known. 8,6 cm wire barrage rockets were clearly used by the KM, but what rockets e.g. Kz 1000 (Kp), RSK 1000, RSK 2000 etc.) were used for defending inland objects?

Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg

jopaerya

Re: Kurzzeitsperre

Post by jopaerya » 09 Jun 2022, 09:35

Thanks Grezio

There are some private photo's known from this weapon from the commander of the M.Fl.A. 810 K.Kapt. Köll .

Regards Jos

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”