LKW-Flakvierling assigned to LW field units in Italy

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Tom3277

LKW-Flakvierling assigned to LW field units in Italy

Post by Tom3277 » 31 Dec 2022, 18:14

Hello,

I open this thread since my knowledge about Flak and LW is very limited; I'm looking for infos related to
Flakvierling guns mounted on LKW and assigned to LW field units (such for example LW-Jäger regiments, batallions, coys etc.).
Is there any list or documents which could help to associate a Flakvierling to license plates or units?

Many thanks
Looking for the Soldbuch of Hptw.d.SchP. Kurt Etowski.

schwarzermai

Re: LKW-Flakvierling assigned to LW field units in Italy

Post by schwarzermai » 01 Jan 2023, 18:43

Hello,

i think the Lw.Feld.Div. in Italy didnt have Flak-Vierlings, because they were organized like any other Infanterie-Division too. And the only "Flak-component" were the 3./Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung with 2cm-Flak (mot.Z.)

Uwe
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=223633

My Bookproject: "Organisationsgeschichte der deutschen Heeresartillerie im II. Weltkrieg"

http://balsi.de/Heeresartillerie/

Tom3277

Post by Tom3277 » 02 Jan 2023, 09:31

Hello Uwe,

Thanks for the reply.
Apparently a lot “field” LW units in Italy (like Koflug Jagdkommandos, Flak-Abt., Jäger units) were supplied with 2 cm Flak but infos about Flakvierling are very scarce.
I was wonderind if there is any document dealing with this matter.

Happy New Year!

schwarzermai

Post by schwarzermai » 02 Jan 2023, 11:06

Hello Tom, maybe we misunderstood,

i thought you were asking about "luftwaffen-feld" units, but you're asking about Luftwaffen-"ground-based units".

the "Luftwaffen-Feld-Divisions" were
transferred from the Luftwaffe to the Army in the fall of 1943, since then they were not part of the Luftwaffe.

Uwe
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=223633

My Bookproject: "Organisationsgeschichte der deutschen Heeresartillerie im II. Weltkrieg"

http://balsi.de/Heeresartillerie/

Tom3277

Post by Tom3277 » 02 Jan 2023, 15:26

Yes Uwe, sorry, my mistake.
I'm talking about LW anti-partisans units, so I guess most of the field deployed units of the LW.

Does anybody knows if there is any list of the LW license plates issued to the LW ground units?

Many thanks
schwarzermai wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 11:06
Hello Tom, maybe we misunderstood,

i thought you were asking about "luftwaffen-feld" units, but you're asking about Luftwaffen-"ground-based units".

the "Luftwaffen-Feld-Divisions" were
transferred from the Luftwaffe to the Army in the fall of 1943, since then they were not part of the Luftwaffe.

Uwe

grassi

Post by grassi » 02 Jan 2023, 18:06

Hi!

I'd recommend: Prentl, Sepp, Flak-Kampfgruppe Prentl. Ein Erlebnisbericht, (München) 1978.
Prentl was the commander of various flak units. He is mentioned many times on AHF.
His book has some mistakes, but it is a good read:
See page XXXII and XXXIII. There you can find foto of a make shift Vierling on LKW (“2-cm-Flak-Vierling auf behelfsmäßiger Selbstfahrlafette – Mai 1944”), which should belong to his battle group.

Best regards

grassi

Tom3277

Post by Tom3277 » 02 Jan 2023, 22:11

Hello Grassi,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding Prentl and the Flak-Erdkampfschule Süd in Italy I also suggest my friend Stefano Di Giusto's research published in "Forni di Sotto – Lipa – Avasinis: nuovi elementi su tre rappresaglie nazi-fasciste (Forni di Sotto - Lisa - Avasinis: new infos about three NS/Fascist reprisals)" on the magazine "Storia Contemporanea in Friuli" (italian only).

see https://www.ifsml.it/storia-contemporanea-in-friuli

Very best regards
grassi wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 18:06
Hi!

I'd recommend: Prentl, Sepp, Flak-Kampfgruppe Prentl. Ein Erlebnisbericht, (München) 1978.
Prentl was the commander of various flak units. He is mentioned many times on AHF.
His book has some mistakes, but it is a good read:
See page XXXII and XXXIII. There you can find foto of a make shift Vierling on LKW (“2-cm-Flak-Vierling auf behelfsmäßiger Selbstfahrlafette – Mai 1944”), which should belong to his battle group.

Best regards

grassi

grassi

Post by grassi » 02 Jan 2023, 22:34

Thank you very much, Tom3277!

Prentl covers some fights against partisans around Spilimbergo on p. 113-122, 133-140, XXII, XXVII-XXIX of his book.

Best regards!

grassi

Tom3277

Post by Tom3277 » 02 Jan 2023, 23:44

Thanks Grassi,

Stefano's research deals in depth with the anti-partisan activity of Prentl and his unit in Italy and also in Spilimbergo.
It also contains some very interesting pictures of Prentl and his men in Italy with Flak 88, Sdkfz. etc.etc.

MfG
grassi wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 22:34
Thank you very much, Tom3277!

Prentl covers some fights against partisans around Spilimbergo on p. 113-122, 133-140, XXII, XXVII-XXIX of his book.

Best regards!

grassi

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”