The ultimate fortification thread!

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
stril

torpedobatterie Kvarven

Post by stril » 05 Sep 2003, 20:43

Hello.
Yes, its closed, i dont think its available at will, ill check it out for you.
They used lost of concrete and gravel when closing different parts of the fort.

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 06 Sep 2003, 18:10

Typical Norwegian army to seal everything they leave!
Just like this R-671 :cry:
Attachments
Bamble.JPG
Bamble.JPG (102.92 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 06 Sep 2003, 18:13

This is how it COULD have been......
Attachments
Varnes671.JPG
Varnes671.JPG (117.77 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

lisset

This has been really Excellent. .

Post by lisset » 07 Sep 2003, 22:05

Erik,
A quick word to say how much I have enjoyed and I do mean that the efforts of yourself and all who have contributed so much to this fantastic goldmine of information. Outstanding !
There is definately a book in this.....I am sure there are many like myself who are interested in the various defence complexs and bunkers which are in your country.
Many thanks and do keep up your excellent work. :D

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 07 Sep 2003, 22:33

Thanks Lisset!

Nice comments like this is what keeps me going :wink:

Erik E

stril

around the wourld(wall)

Post by stril » 08 Sep 2003, 15:29

Hello.
Really impressive photos you come up with, the tread about concrete in Norway is also great.
It seems likeyou have been all over, instead if asking where you have been i suspects its easier to ask where you havnt been.
How long have you been doing this ?

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 08 Sep 2003, 16:14

He-he!

I started really serious 3 years ago, collecting every single piece of information. Before that, I only picked "random sites" to visit. I have had the general interest for 7-8 years.

My intention is to visit all 221 batteries in Norway :) + all airfield, Hq`s and such. I have finished the coast from Kristiansand to Aalesund, but as the locations are getting so far away from home(!) it will surely take a few years more! One week each summer, I also visit some places in other countries to compare, and share information how things were done there!
Some places, like Lista I have visited 6-7 times and still much left to see!

It`s expensive, very hard "field works" my wife gets angry when I use all my vacation on hobby, but in the end it is really worth it!
The biggest problem is my car insurance! The 2 last years, I have driven close to 70000 Km`s !!!!

Erik E

stril

Post by stril » 10 Sep 2003, 11:32

Hello.
I have had some interest for this for some years, but nothing more than looking when i was at at site or visiting near by.
Im sure im going to go around visiting sites in teh future, but one thing is (almost) certain, im not going to drive 70 000 km....in two years.
Im impressed by the entusiasm you have in this matter, your visits on sites benefits us all when posting in the forum.

Weiss Wurst

Post by Weiss Wurst » 11 Sep 2003, 16:05

Anyone know of any remnant fortifications in or around railway stations in Northern Germany?

I have some friends from around Hamburg who say they have found an (now) abandoned railway complex with several factory type structures, now empty, as well as a nuclear refinement facility. Apparently, after the war, the british took the location and owned it for years. They then sold them back to the Government of Germany who then used it for modern Nike missle manufacture (the nuclear site).

Anyway, I have some nice links to a bunch of digital images from the guys, but they seem unable to determine if there were any hardpoints for AA guns, which i would suspect would have been the least of the findings in the area, but not even a mount.

Anyone have any ideas about this place? Sorry i don't have a name, but if there is interest ill link the site to the forum.

Thanks!

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 11 Sep 2003, 16:17

Sounds very interesting!

I`ve heard of similar stories, but not like this!

Please post the link!
:)
Erik

Weiss Wurst

Post by Weiss Wurst » 11 Sep 2003, 16:59

I will be sure to do it later today, thanks for the interest Eric, and if you can appraise the info found, can you report any insight you might have?

by the by, the site is unfortunately in German, but if your german is rusty as mine, the bable fish translator will help, but with some mistakes.

lisset

Construction work and disposal of munitions

Post by lisset » 11 Sep 2003, 17:04

Erik,
If I could pick your pool of knowledge.
When did the Germans decide that they would stop building along your coastline , what was the last serious piece of work they started or completed ?
Seems that they poured a considerable amount of effort and resources in which with hindsight a fraction of might have been more useful on in a certain coastal region of Northern France.

Were all the unwanted munitions dumped at sea , would you have any information regarding disposal. If done at sea any present day enviromental problems relating to the disposal ?
( I ask this beacuse there is a long estiblished and well knowm local problem alonf East Antrim Coast of NorthernIreland from munitions dumped in Bowford Dyke a deep water channel between Ireland and Scotland.).

Would you have any photgraphs of 105mm flak battery set ups.
I would be grateful if you might email or send a pm relating to the flak enquiry.

Thanks once again hate asking as I know you must have a lot of correspondence generated from this excellent thread.

Dan Mouritzsen

Post by Dan Mouritzsen » 11 Sep 2003, 17:32

Hi Lisset

Check this one regarding the flak question:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/ger ... izsen.html

Regards

Dan Mouritzsen

lisset

Thank you

Post by lisset » 11 Sep 2003, 18:26

Dan ,
Thank you for the link I will check it out .
James

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 11 Sep 2003, 19:31

Hallo Lisset!

The Atlantikwall was never finished. In May 1945, about half of the coastal batteries in Norway were still under modification. Most of them were operational, but only in temporary emplacements. Northern France was maybe a step ahead, but many of the batteries/strongpoints there also had important works left.
In many batteries we visit, there are unfinished tunnels, bunkers and emplacements. What is a little strange, is that they were building all of them in the same time, instead of completing one and one.....

The ammunition not taken over by the Norwegian army was dumped in the sea (or lakes). There is not any major problems yet, but the discovery of some 20 shipwrecks with chemical grenades outside Arendal a few years ago, made the government start searching. (The second largest known dumping field in Europe)
Most of the dumping was carried out by the allied forces. They didn`t register what was dumped where, only put a cross on the maps!
Many of these places are waiting to be explored, so no one really knows whats down there. Often the deepest fjords were selected, so this is not a easy job. Just outside my house, there is a 780 meters deep fjord with such a cross. This place was used to dump ships, cars and oilrigs until 1984, so you can imagine start searching for something down there!

Erik

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”