76mm Bofors !?!

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Erik E
Financial supporter

76mm Bofors !?!

Post by Erik E » 31 Aug 2003 21:59

Hallo!

During my latest field trips, we found the remains of a 76mm Bofors gun.
In the German papers from this site, it was only mentioned as
"7,6cm Landesabwehrgeschütz"

Could anyone tell me more about this type??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 31 Aug 2003 22:04

Have a look on the bottom part of this page ... about finn AA guns.

http://www.ankkurinvarsi.net/jaeger/AA_GUNS3.htm

8 bought from Sweden, arrived at 1930. These guns were used in Helsinki air-defence during WW2. All of these guns were static. Probably the same type than the one you discovered.

David

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 31 Aug 2003 22:53

Hallo David!

I doubt that the gun in question is a Flak gun.....
The barrel was stamped with "weight 340 Kilos" written in Norwegian.
The year of production was 1918, barrel length approx. 1,7 meters.

I was first thinking of a ex-Norwgian naval gun, but the fact that it has no shield makes me think twice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 31 Aug 2003 23:05

Hallo Erik,

Well it was perhaps too easy ... but in the text it is said :

"These guns were same as the ones that Bofors manufactured in 75-mm calibre, but as Finns had opted to make 76-mm standard calibre of their heavy AA-guns Bofors manufactured them in that calibre. This particular gun-model was probably 76-mm version of 75-mm Bofors M/27 also used by Swedish Coastal Artillery. It also was static version used with column mount bolted to concrete structures of ready fire-position. Finland bought 8 of these guns at 1928, but they were not delivered until 1930. The gun had horizontal sliding wedge breech. During Winter War and Continuation War the guns were used with Vickers M/34 (subversion Vb) mechanical fire-control computer and were located in air-defence of Finnish capital Helsinki. 76-mm Bofors AA-guns proved very well and remained in use until end of WW2."

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Bofors.htm

Otherwise I don't know about any other WW1 / WW2 76mm Bofors gun that is not an AA gun initially but thatclearly proves nothing :) ... It could be the same naval version used by Swedish army perhaps ?

David

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 31 Aug 2003 23:17

Hmmmm......

Intereting david, but I suggest M/27 means it was developed in 1927?
This particular gun is clearly marked 1918!?!

Erik E

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 31 Aug 2003 23:29

yes ... well ... I am still on it, trying to find info about this 1918 gun ... I hope we will find the key :)

Do you know the location exactly ?
Perhaps with help of this website we could find an info ... on the bottom of the page you can "click" on the different coastal groups to have a detailed account on their armament :

http://www.nuav.net/festnorw.html

David

JTV

Post by JTV » 01 Sep 2003 07:04

Erik E wrote:Hmmmm......

Intereting david, but I suggest M/27 means it was developed in 1927?
This particular gun is clearly marked 1918!?!

Erik E

Yes, it can't be the same gun. There are also some major differences (like length of the gun barrel). However it if the both are Bofors they probably are distantly related (Bofors 75-mm AA-guns were originally based to naval guns of the same calibre manufactured earlier). My educated guess would be that it is Bofors made naval gun or some earlier AA-gun, but exactly what model is hard to say. However this page might be a good starting point:

http://www.me.chalmers.se/~m95perm/vape ... index.html

If only the webpage would have pictures of them all then this might be an easy task. I also think possible that the mount could have maybe originally from some other gun (I remember seeing very similar mount earlier in Finnish books, but it was't with Bofors gun - I have check on that) and might have later been modified to be used with new gun barrel.

BTW: Panzermeyer, always nice to see my site used as reference. :-)

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 01 Sep 2003 09:11

I don`t like to publish exact locations for such "light" equipment.......
In another battery a 5cm KwK was re-found last year.
It only took half a year with photos+location on the internet before someone stole it !
The NUAV doesn`t tell more about this gun than allready mentioned here.

Erik

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 01 Sep 2003 09:24

Well I didn't expected you to publish the exact location I just thought perhaps you could compare with the different coastal groups armament.

The 1918 gun listed in the other page is a 75mm AA gun ... still a mystery ... for the moment I don't really know where to look ... I can't find an exhaustive list of the bofors products :(

David

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 01 Sep 2003 10:26

One comment , perhap these guns are " Anti-Balloon Guns" not true AA guns. They made have an AA type mounting to allow high angle fire but more than that I doubt they are differnt from a standard cannon. I don't remember many real big flak guns being made in WWI to shoot at aircraft.

Jack Nisley

Post by Jack Nisley » 01 Sep 2003 18:00

Erik, isn't the translation of the German "Anti-Landing Guns"? This caliber of gun (76mm/3 in/12 pounder) would have been a common installation on pre WW I and WW I ships as anti-torpedo boat guns on large ships and main armament on small craft. The Tyrgg class torpedp boats and Glommen class minelayers were built in Norway about this time with a 76mm main armament. Could these be the source of this gun?

Jack Nisley

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 01 Sep 2003 18:36

But was it a Bofors gun ? Not a Breda, Melara or ... I forgot the name something sounding Italian :)

David

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 05 Sep 2003 15:38

This is one of only 2 locations I have seen the sources mentioning
"76mm Lag". The other place is told to have been a ex-Norwegian naval gun. I guess this could also be the same then!

Most of the artillery used in Norway were bought from Bofors, or produced under licence here, especially in the navy.
A detail I Noticed is that weight was written in an old Norwegian style...("Vegt")

Did the Swedes write "Vegt" in 1918???

Erik

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 05 Sep 2003 15:46

As far as I know we've never written "vegt". We've always written "vikt", atleast since prehistoric time. :)

Best regards/ Daniel

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 05 Sep 2003 16:22

Well, that solves much Daniel!

I think we have got a "licence produced Bofors ex-Norwegian navalgun, used as shore defence" here

Thanks all!

Erik E

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”