Hitler's Bunker

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 06 Nov 2005, 09:57

I was at the Fahrerbunker site (Drivers bunker) at the corner of Voss-Strasse in February 2002 when they were doing some excavation work and had uncovered part of it either by accident or in the course of the construction. It was cordoned off but I managed to "break in" to the site through a hole in the fence and get some good photographs and a lump of concrete as a souvenir.

Tholzel

Recent Bunker photos

Post by Tholzel » 06 Nov 2005, 21:06

Potsdamer Platz wrote:I was at the Fahrerbunker site (Drivers bunker) at the corner of Voss-Strasse in February 2002 when they were doing some excavation work and had uncovered part of it either by accident or in the course of the construction. It was cordoned off but I managed to "break in" to the site through a hole in the fence and get some good photographs and a lump of concrete as a souvenir.
Wow--that would interesting to see. Any way you can post those photos--or send them?

Tholzel

One-man "bunkers."

Post by Tholzel » 09 Nov 2005, 00:12

" there were well over 1000 Bunkers in Berlin during the TR (between 1940 and 1942 alone there were ~400 build).
Of course not all survived till today, but one has indeed to know the exact location of a bunker to identify it. "

Don't forget the many one-man "bunkers" that dotted the Berlin landscape. In 1945, when we returned to Berlin Weissensee fron Ruegen, I discovered some of these in our neighborhood. They were of concrete with a thick (~2-feet) top and a one foot circular slot to shoot from. Some were interconnected, but others weren't. The ones that were not connected were--essentially--suicide traps. Once you were discovered shooting from it, you had to keep shooting, because you couldn't escape except by crawling out into the open. These were gone by 1956.

Tholzel

Bunker Museum

Post by Tholzel » 09 Nov 2005, 00:15

Also, I recall some businessmen asking the government if they could restore the bunker and make a museum out of it. This was before it was finally paved over--probably in the 1980s. The German goernment refused to consider it.

jopaerya

Re: Hitler's Bunker

Post by jopaerya » 14 Nov 2022, 11:07

From the NARA files one of the entrances and the air exhaust in building progress, American businessman visit Hiller bunker .
Attachments
111-SC-284970.jpg

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”