AT question

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Tyrant

AT question

Post by Tyrant » 05 Oct 2003 23:16

Did the Germans use either the 88mm flak 41( i read that even though it was low-set it was rarely used in the AT role) , 105mm flak 38 or 128mm flak 40 for anti-tank, like they did with the 88 flak 18.

Thanks Tyrant

Matt L

Post by Matt L » 06 Oct 2003 01:23

Yup, they used all of them, or at least all had the capability of being used as anti-armor weapons as I've seen the appropriate Panzergranate ammunition for each. The Germans actually produced anti-tank ammunition for even their light field howitzers (e.g. leicht Infanterie Geschuetz 18 ) of the hollow charge type. So, it seems that anything that might need to be used against tanks was expected to be capable of it.

Matt

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant » 06 Oct 2003 02:08

Thanks. I thought that they where used like that, but I had read that they where used fairly sparingly in the AT role, used mostly in their intended role, but I guess that was incorrect.

Matt L

Post by Matt L » 06 Oct 2003 02:37

I wouldn't say the suggestion that these weapons were used mostly in their intended roles is incorrect at all- the truth is that I've never read of any of them used to fight tanks save for the 8,8cm Flak18. I was simply saying that the fact that AP ammunition exists means they could be used against tanks, not that they even ever were. Certainly a howitzer didn't have the proper sighting device or a flat enough trajectory to hit a tank at anything but short ranges (rather dangerous I'd think). The heavy flak would be a different story of course, but given how immobile they were, it's not likely they would have had to fight tanks unless they were in imminent danger of being overrun.

Of course all this being said, stranger guns have been used to fight tanks than these- I read of a 3cm MK108 cannon mounted on an improvised carriage being used to battle a T34 that was trying to overrun a Luftwaffe airflield- and it won! No specifics were given, however it seems likely that the MK108 must have blown off a track and immobilized the tank.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 06 Oct 2003 04:46

I believe the 128mm flak gun, was the same gun used in the Jag-Tiger.

Flak 41's could be used and were used in extreme emergencies as AT guns.

I have not heard of any cases of the 105mm Flak? used as an at gun but from what I remember it was a "rare" gun anyway. Not quite sure what commonality it may share with the 105 mounted in some Stug III assault guns.

Matt L

Post by Matt L » 06 Oct 2003 05:00

The Jadgtiger's gun and the 12,8cm Flak used different ammunition- the Jagdtiger used separate projectile/case rounds- so no, the guns weren't the same.

The 10,5cm Flak was quite different from the weapon of the Sturmgeschütz and Hummel- that was a 10,5cm howitzer.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”