ID Artillery Piece?

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
User avatar
Orok
Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: 11 Sep 2003 15:35
Location: USA

ID Artillery Piece?

Post by Orok » 05 Nov 2003 18:50

Hi everyone:

This is a picture of Hungarian soldiers manhandling a gun for the defence of Budapest. Can anyone ID the gun?

Image

Thanks and Best Regards!

User avatar
luno
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: 16 May 2003 12:38
Location: North off Sweden

Post by luno » 05 Nov 2003 18:56

If you look at the barrel off the gun its look like the Bofors 7,5 cm AA m/37 but the gun in the picture have been made into an Anti Tank gun

Bofors 7,5 cm AA m/37
Image
Last edited by luno on 05 Nov 2003 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Daniel L
Member
Posts: 9116
Joined: 07 Sep 2002 00:46
Location: Sweden

Post by Daniel L » 05 Nov 2003 18:57

Orok, you claimed that it was a 75mm Bofors gun in another thread.

Best regards/ Daniel

User avatar
bmk1st
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 30 Jul 2003 01:00
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by bmk1st » 05 Nov 2003 19:33

Do you think that gun could be captured soviet gun?

Here's one gun that may look like the top picture showed?

User avatar
luno
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: 16 May 2003 12:38
Location: North off Sweden

Post by luno » 05 Nov 2003 19:38

bmk1st wrote:Do you think that gun could be captured soviet gun?

Here's one gun that may look like the top picture showed?


look at the barrel off the gun. It’s not the same gun. I still think the gun is an Bofors 75mm AA that have been rebuilt to an antitank gun
regards
Olof

User avatar
Orok
Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: 11 Sep 2003 15:35
Location: USA

Post by Orok » 05 Nov 2003 19:39

Hi Daniel,

That is not my claim, I copied the caption from the site where I found the photo and gave credit to it. But I could not find information on Hungarian 75mm Bofors, only 80mm Bofors AA guns. So I thought I would like to hear what other members have to say.

Best Regards.

User avatar
Orok
Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: 11 Sep 2003 15:35
Location: USA

Post by Orok » 05 Nov 2003 19:43

luno wrote:
bmk1st wrote:Do you think that gun could be captured soviet gun?

Here's one gun that may look like the top picture showed?


look at the barrel off the gun. It’s not the same gun. I still think the gun is an Bofors 75mm AA that have been rebuilt to an antitank gun
regards
Olof


Hi Olof,

Do you have a picture of Bofors 80mm AA gun, so we can do a comparison?

Thanks and Best Regards!

User avatar
luno
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: 16 May 2003 12:38
Location: North off Sweden

Post by luno » 05 Nov 2003 19:57

Orok wrote:
luno wrote:
bmk1st wrote:Do you think that gun could be captured soviet gun?

Here's one gun that may look like the top picture showed?


look at the barrel off the gun. It’s not the same gun. I still think the gun is an Bofors 75mm AA that have been rebuilt to an antitank gun
regards
Olof


Hi Olof,

Do you have a picture of Bofors 80mm AA gun, so we can do a comparison?

Thanks and Best Regards!


I am sorry to say but I don’t have any picture off the 80mm AA Bofors gun but it basecly the same gun as the 75mm AA :)

But on this page you have some fact abut the 80mm AA Bofors
http://www.me.chalmers.se/~m95perm/vape ... _lvkan_m40

User avatar
Oleg Grigoryev
Member
Posts: 5051
Joined: 12 Mar 2002 20:06
Location: Russia

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 05 Nov 2003 20:04

could be original F-22 know as PaK 36(r) in German service
Image

User avatar
Orok
Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: 11 Sep 2003 15:35
Location: USA

Post by Orok » 05 Nov 2003 20:25

luno wrote:
Orok wrote:
luno wrote:
bmk1st wrote:Do you think that gun could be captured soviet gun?

Here's one gun that may look like the top picture showed?


look at the barrel off the gun. It’s not the same gun. I still think the gun is an Bofors 75mm AA that have been rebuilt to an antitank gun
regards
Olof


Hi Olof,

Do you have a picture of Bofors 80mm AA gun, so we can do a comparison?

Thanks and Best Regards!


I am sorry to say but I don’t have any picture off the 80mm AA Bofors gun but it basecly the same gun as the 75mm AA :)

But on this page you have some fact abut the 80mm AA Bofors
http://www.me.chalmers.se/~m95perm/vape ... _lvkan_m40


Hi Olof,

Is there any posibility that this particular gun is an 80mm, not a 75mm?

Since (1) you said 80mm and 75mm Bofors are basically the same gun, and (2) the gun looks like a 75mm Bofors, and (3) we know the Hungarians had some 80mm Bofors guns, if we add all these up, I think perhaps we can say this might be an 80mm in Hungarian service.

What do you think?

Best Regards!

User avatar
luno
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: 16 May 2003 12:38
Location: North off Sweden

Post by luno » 05 Nov 2003 20:32

Orok wrote:
luno wrote:
Orok wrote:
luno wrote:
bmk1st wrote:Do you think that gun could be captured soviet gun?

Here's one gun that may look like the top picture showed?


look at the barrel off the gun. It’s not the same gun. I still think the gun is an Bofors 75mm AA that have been rebuilt to an antitank gun
regards
Olof


Hi Olof,

Do you have a picture of Bofors 80mm AA gun, so we can do a comparison?

Thanks and Best Regards!


I am sorry to say but I don’t have any picture off the 80mm AA Bofors gun but it basecly the same gun as the 75mm AA :)

But on this page you have some fact abut the 80mm AA Bofors
http://www.me.chalmers.se/~m95perm/vape ... _lvkan_m40


Hi Olof,

Is there any posibility that this particular gun is an 80mm, not a 75mm?

Since (1) you said 80mm and 75mm Bofors are basically the same gun, and (2) the gun looks like a 75mm Bofors, and (3) we know the Hungarians had some 80mm Bofors guns, if we add all these up, I think perhaps we can say this might be an 80mm in Hungarian service.

What do you think?

Best Regards!


And Bingo :) I think you are right .
with an Muzzle velocity off 770 m/s the Bofors 80mm would have no problem knocking out an T34/85 a perfect AT gun
:D

User avatar
Orok
Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: 11 Sep 2003 15:35
Location: USA

Post by Orok » 05 Nov 2003 20:49

Hi Olof,

I am glad that we reached the same conclusion! :lol:

I think we've solved this little mystery! that is, unless some one else come up with a new theory or new evidence!

Thanks and Best Regards!

User avatar
JTV
Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: 11 Mar 2002 10:03
Location: Finland

Post by JTV » 06 Nov 2003 08:41

Orok wrote:Do you have a picture of Bofors 80mm AA gun, so we can do a comparison?



Here is rather poor quality picture of Hungarian 80-mm Bofors M29 AA-gun. Source German "Taschenbuch der Heere 1939", page 397.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
luno
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: 16 May 2003 12:38
Location: North off Sweden

Post by luno » 06 Nov 2003 10:37

Offtopic did you know that the German company Krupp helped Bofors building the 75mm AA gun and after that Krupp went back to Germany and build the famous 88mm Flak
regards
Olof

User avatar
Orok
Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: 11 Sep 2003 15:35
Location: USA

Post by Orok » 06 Nov 2003 15:24

JTV wrote:Here is rather poor quality picture of Hungarian 80-mm Bofors M29 AA-gun. Source German "Taschenbuch der Heere 1939", page 397.


Thanks JTV for the picture. I am sure this is the same type of gun with the one from my picture. So it is an 80mm! :lol:

Thanks and Best Regards!

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”