efficency of anti-tank weapon.

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Der Shutze

efficency of anti-tank weapon.

Post by Der Shutze » 17 Dec 2003 17:55

I know that with an anti-tank cannon like Pak 40 or smaller,a tank like a M4-Sherman can be destroyed with 2 or 3 rounds(I think that it depends by the location hit)It's true??
Or with only a good shot a Pak can destroy a medium-armoured tank?
Last edited by Der Shutze on 17 Dec 2003 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 17 Dec 2003 18:10

Hello!

Everything depends on WHERE the round hits the tank. A tank could take several hits without being damaged at vital parts.
A single round can hit the fuel tank, the guns sight, one of the crewmembers etc... all will take out the tank. This was why also smaller calibre guns had a chance to damage a tank so that it cannot be operated any more.
Of course a 8,8 or a Pak40 can penetrate the armour completely and do all kind of damage from nothing to totallay blow up the tank. As I said it all depends on where the round hits.

\Christoph

Der Shutze

Post by Der Shutze » 17 Dec 2003 18:16

In a Shermann the motor and the fuel tanks are bheind,it's true?

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 17 Dec 2003 18:20

As far as I know all tanks have the engine at the rear.

\christoph

brau meister

Post by brau meister » 17 Dec 2003 18:21

a Pak 40 is able to destroy, cripple or maim a medium tank by placing shots in vulnerable points.
A shot at thinner armor anywhere on the tank (rear, turret ring, sides, from above or below) can penetrate and destroy. At close ranges, the gun can maybe penetrate the front armor as well.

A shot at the tracks or wheels can immobilize the vehicle, leaving it vulnerable to counter attack. Similarly, a shot to the periscopes can blind it, shots to the MGs or even main armament can make it unable to fire back. It is also possible that the crew can be shaken up by being hit repeatedly, lose its nerve and either disengage from the fight or damage the vehicle in an attempt to get out of harm's way.

That's my non-technical understanding. I'm sure someone else can come up with armor penetration tables and more detailed info.

daveh

Post by daveh » 17 Dec 2003 22:59

Remember its not penetrating the armour that matters as much as the damage you do to the tanks equipment and crew after you 've got through the armour.

You can render a tank immobile by destroying its tracks without ever penetrating its armour. Sometimes a solid armour piercing shot would go through both sides of a tank and hit nothing in between...leaving a shaken crew but effectively an undamaged tank.

In general an armour piercing shell is more likely to cause damage inside a tank than is a solid shot but will generally have a slightly poorer penetration and has a chance of not exploding at all.

But as Christoph Awender says it comes down to where you hit. In some reports the German tanks and anti tank guns of 1941 when facing Soviet KV 1 s relied on the fact that if you hit often enough you would eventually get lucky hits in somewhere telling eg through the gun barrel or in the turret ring. Thus even though in theory you could not penetrate the enemy's armour you could render the tank ineffective.

Unteroffizier_Tyler

Anti-Tank Guns

Post by Unteroffizier_Tyler » 18 Dec 2003 21:27

Usually a PaK crew, or any anti-tank crew in any armed force, would try to hit the rear or sides, ideally the rear, because that is where the least armor is and where most of the things that go boom or that you want to go boom are. on a side note, forgive me for saying go boom...

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”