4,7 cm Böhler anti-tank gun

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Millsy

Re: 4,7 cm Böhler anti-tank gun

Post by Millsy » 10 May 2021 09:25

sorry to ask more questions -was the the Pagkoepel a casemate (i.e. concrete 'pillbox' but specially designed for the bohler ) or a turret (i.e. moveable able to traverse)

JKernwerk

Post by JKernwerk » 10 May 2021 14:41

Hi Millsy,
The turret was fixed and not rotatable, the turret weight was about 10 or 20 tons but I have to check that.
Indeed only the Bohler was to be mounted but that was not a problem, the AT guns that were to be bought and used by the Dutch Army were the Bohler.
Some other AT guns were tested but the Bohler was the best possible (others were the Boxman and at least Rheinmetall and I also remember seing drawings of the 2Pdr Vickers).
I can imagen it was not easy to get the Bohler out of the casemate, so even when the weapon was mobile it was not a matter of seconds to get it out and put in an open position to repel a attack from the side or rear, I have not seen any drawings what the standard layout of a position should look like.
JK

svdb10

Post by svdb10 » 11 May 2021 08:35

Some pictures of the remaining cupola (no 1102) at the Military Museum Soesterberg (photo's were taken when the new museum was being built)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Millsy

Post by Millsy » 12 May 2021 12:41

thanks chaps - some excellent info its sort of the big brother to the 'panzernest' that the Germans used albeit not so portable :-)

I will be definitely working that into my AH story

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”