Info about "Brandgranaten" ammunition for 15cm sIG

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
jmark

Info about "Brandgranaten" ammunition for 15cm sIG

Post by jmark » 23 Apr 2004, 16:43

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me with information about the "Brandgranaten" (loose translation: "incendiary shell") ammunition used in the 15cm schwere-Infanteriegeschütz 33 (150mm heavy infantry gun 33). I already have all the technical information from a German manual – with the notable exception of what the flammable liquid was – but what I really need is reports about its use, eyewitness accounts, anecdotes etc.

Did this ammo have the same effect as napalm?
Once the shell exploded, how far was the flammable liquid thrown?
What was the flammable liquid? The same as "Flammöl" used in flamethrowers?
If fired at a building, would it be capable of penetrating a wall before exploding inside?
Was there a minimum distance at which it could be used?

Any information at all about the use of this ammunition would be great. It seems like it would be very effective, so I can't understand why I have never read about it before.

Thanks!

Jason Mark

Bob_Mackenzie

Post by Bob_Mackenzie » 23 Apr 2004, 18:22

Dear Jason

Currently i'm reading a book on Germany's air dropped weapons which has some info in fule filled bombs. To start these weapons had basic pertrol as a filling and were spectacular but not very effective. Later (41?) they had thickened fuel (ie similar to that used by flammenwerfer & napalm) this burned from 10-20 minues duration. The 150mm may have used similar filling

Cheers

Bob

jmark

Post by jmark » 24 Apr 2004, 05:28

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I thought it would probably contain some type of thickened fuel. The info I have on this Brandgranaten round is from May 1942, so the mixture used at that stage of the war was no doubt something more effective than just ordinary petrol. I just can't seem to find any more info about it. Also no anecdotal evidence about its use.

Jason

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 24 Apr 2004, 17:57

Wouldn´t it be possible that they were phosphorous grenades?The amount of flammable liquid in a 150mm grenade would be insignificant.
AFAIK the only artillery projectiles carrying napalm in German Artillery were 32cm "Wurfkörper" rockets for Stuka zu Fuss...

Zünder

Post by Zünder » 12 May 2004, 10:08

@Jmark:

if you are talking about the 15 cm Infanteriegranate Brand, it contained a 9,5 kg charge, consisting out of 6 bars each made out of a Magnesium/aluminium alloy.
Each bar had it's own initial charge that started the burning proces.

All bars where ejected on impact out of the base of the shell, by a 530 gram blackpowder charge.

Zünder,

http://www.wk2ammo.com

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”