“Turbulenzringkanone” ~ Vortex-Ring Cannon

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
MAX_theHitMan

“Turbulenzringkanone” ~ Vortex-Ring Cannon

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 23 May 2004 16:54

“Turbulenzringkanone”
(Vortex-Ring Cannon )

The “turbulenzringkanone “, or vortex-ring cannon, was designed by an Austrian scientist named Dr.Zimmermeyer at a secret experimental institute at Lofer, in Tyrol.
It was made up of a large caliber mortar-type barrel that was sunk into the ground while the other end pointed up, it “supposedly” fired shells containing a mixture of coal dust and a slow-burning explosive in the center. Although the first initial experiments with compressed air were failures, Dr.Zimmermeyer and his team didn´t gave up.
As far as I have researched, the vortex-ring phenomenon is and “was” not new to Dr.Zimmermeyer. Much earlier, in the nineteenth century, physicist James Clerk Maxwell postulated that since heat involves the movement of molecules, we might someday be able to get hot and cold air from the same device with the help of a "friendly little demon" who would sort out and separate the hot and cold molecules from the air. A century later the “vortex tube” was invented quite by accident. In the late 1920´s, George Ranque, a french physics student, was experimenting with a vortex-type pump he had developed when he noticed warm air exhausting from one end, and cold air from the other. Ranque soon forgot about his pump and started a small firm to exploit the commercial potential for this strange new device that produced hot and cold air with no moving parts. However, it soon failed and the vortex tube slipped into obscurity until the mid-1940’s when Rudolph Hilsch, a German physicist, published a widely read scientific paper on the device. Thus, the vortex tube has been variously known as the "Ranque Vortex Tube", the "Hilsch Tube", the "Ranque-Hilsch Tube", and "Maxwell's Demon". By any name, it has in recent years gained acceptance as a simple, reliable and low cost answer to a wide variety of industrial spot cooling problems.
The strange phenomenon of the vortex-tube is quite amazing once looked at into more detail. For example, fluid or air that rotates about an axis -- like a tornado -- is called a vortex. A vortex tube uses compressed air as a power source, has no moving parts, and produces hot air from one end and cold air from the other. The volume and temperature of these two airstreams are adjustable with a valve built into the hot air exhaust. Temperatures as low as -50°F (-46°C) and as high as +260°F (127°C) are possible.
Theories abound regarding the dynamics of a vortex tube. But here is one widely accepted explanation of the phenomenon: Compressed air is supplied into the vortex tube and passes through nozzles that are tangent to an internal counterbore. These nozzles set the air in a vortex motion. This spinning stream of air turns 90° and passes down the hot tube in the form of a spinning shell, similar to a tornado, reaching speeds of up to 1,000,000 rpm. A valve at one end of the tube allows some of the warmed air to escape. What does not escape, heads back down the tube as a second vortex inside the low-pressure area of the larger vortex. This inner vortex loses heat and exhausts thru the other end as cold air. While one airstream moves up the tube and the other down it, both rotate in the same direction at the same angular velocity. That is, a particle in the inner stream completes one rotation in the same amount of time as a particle in the outer stream. However, because of the principle of conservation of angular momentum, the rotational speed of the smaller vortex might be expected to increase. (The conservation principle is demonstrated by spinning ice-skaters who can slow or speed up their spin by extending or drawing in their arms.)
But in the vortex tube, the speed of the inner vortex remains the same. Angular momentum has been lost from the inner vortex. The energy that is lost shows up as heat in the outer vortex. Thus the outer vortex becomes hot, and the inner vortex is cooled.
With this theory in mind, I believe that what Dr.Zimmermeyer was trying to acomplish was a cannon design able to use special “shells”, that once fired, had the function of creating an artificial tornado. Which would hopefully make enemy airplanes lose control and thus literally “knock them out of the sky”. If all circumstances were perfect and favorable, this strange cannon device seemed to had worked fairly well. Numerous high-speed films were taken and processed for later analysis and study, and they concluded that the rotation and forward-moving explosion of the coal dust was in fact able to start the formation of a fairly large vortex. Although it is unknown whether the pressure changes of the tornado would be strong enough to cause frame failure in aircraft caught in the air current, it was known that the pressure on wing loads might be excessive.
In the years before this “Turbulenzringkanone”, it was already known that air tubulence had brought down large aircraft and broken their wings into pieces with it´s natural force. So it seemed possible and feasible that Dr. Zimmermeyer's vortex cannon could have had the same effects on allied aircraft too. In fact it would have been cheaper, but as effective, as other flak cannon firing shells filled with high explosives.
Unfortunetly, the range of the prototype was estimated to be at about 100 meters, too far off the altitude at which allied bombers flew, so the gun was never used against allied aircraft. At least there seems to be no “known” records of it firing in anger during the war. But other similarly designed guns using artificial firedamp explosions and shells were deployed against freedom fighters in the Eastern Front towards the end of the war.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been looking for more information on this strange cannon... does anyone have anymore information on this?

AND ~ What are your opinions on my thoughts of this thing could have worked ?
Please do comment and criticize freely. I would like to hear your opinions on this matter. :)

MAX-theHitMan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 23 May 2004 21:30

Who wrote the text in blue, you?

Best regards/ Daniel

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 23 May 2004 23:40

Yes, I have written the above text.

I must point out to everyone that IT IS ONLY MY POINT OF VIEW, as to how this contraption might have worked.
I have gathered my researches from available internet sites and some library books along time ago. I have come to the conclusion that it might have worked on the principles of the known "vortex-tube". Because it also does looks a bit like a vortex tube from what I have seen.
BUT I must remind evryone that I could be COMPLETELY WRONG, with my theories and the original gun/cannon, could have worked in a totally different manner
So, please, do not take my latest research into heart, because I still do not have all the available information as of yet to complete this puzzle.

If anyone of you fine folks out there have any good information available in your books or in your files. Please do share your views on this matter.
The whole community would be truly thankful, for any information, as so would I.

Cheers
MAX-thehitMan

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”