the maginot line 1944-45

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
paddywhack

the maginot line 1944-45

Post by paddywhack » 23 Aug 2002, 13:24

we all know that the germans bypassed the maginot line in 40 but what happened in 44 when the allies landed in france did the germans in turn use the line or was it stripped bare for the eastern front ? likewise did the allies use it for themself or was it just left to itsefl?
by the way what state is it in now and how much of it survives?
any info would be great cheers! :wink: :D

A.D.McDonald

Post by A.D.McDonald » 23 Aug 2002, 17:23

I'm reasonably sure that the Maginot line was of little practical use to the German's.For a start it faced the wrong way,and even were it not so,the allies were sure to pull the same trick as the Germans in 1940.
Much of it's equipment was used elsewhere and it's gun's where applicable and when possible were used in the defensive works lining the French coast.
I do know that the Belgian fort of Eben Emael was used by the German's, but I am not sure of it's postwar history.
The Maginot line,after the liberation of France,was ressurected and kept operational until the mid-sixties.
Regards:Andrew

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 23 Aug 2002, 21:32

The speed of the allied advance ment that they were only sporadic uses of the line by the Germans. The Allies-mainly the Americans-used the certain forts to fire into Germany, but again the swiftness of the advance only men't they were used for a short while and that allied airpower was a lot more effective.

:D Andy from the Shire

admfisher

Maginot Line

Post by admfisher » 24 Aug 2002, 20:15

The West Wall was stripped of all of it's equipment during the war so when the germans fell back onto it, it was of little use.
The Maginot Line was not used much by the Germans, it also was stripped, many of its guns were used in Forts else where.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 27 Aug 2002, 01:35

The west wall was hardly equipped by 1940, its construction was not completed.

People seem not too like the Maginot line but i belive that had it stretched to the coast that it would have been very formiddable.

verbe

Post by verbe » 27 Aug 2002, 16:35

You can visit parts of it nowadays. Check out this link : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sfbc/Anglais/indexgb.htm

admfisher

the Maginot line

Post by admfisher » 27 Aug 2002, 22:08

The Maginot line if had been extended to the north coast it would of been an enormous drain on resourses.
So what is to be lost to pay for this?
Other than the number of men it would need to man.

Other than this if the Germans had face a continous line then they would of had a problem but I don't think it would of spared France, just extended the conflict which would of drawn larger numbers of British and commonwealth troops.

Grant

ZackdeBlanc

Post by ZackdeBlanc » 29 Aug 2002, 08:43

The Maginot Line is the stupidest most idiotic thing I have ever heard of. I can't believe the French wasted so much money on it. What a stupid idea.

Landser

Post by Landser » 29 Aug 2002, 18:51

Paddy

It was not needed at that point,the Russkies did'n get that far.
Hehhe

GFM2000

Post by GFM2000 » 30 Aug 2002, 06:51

Lord Gort wrote:People seem not too like the Maginot line but i belive that had it stretched to the coast that it would have been very formiddable.
I recalled there were 2 principle reasons why this is not done so. Firstly, the terrain in Northern France is not ideal for the construction of the fortifications consistently seen with the Maginot Line, and could be a huge drain on French financial resources (as Grant pointed out). Secondly, there was the political consideration of building a powerful defensive line, with guns facing the Low Countries. This latter reason would not go well with French national-border relationships. Furthermore, extending the Maginot Line INTO the Low Countries (and thus, having the guns facing Germany instead) was unacceptable to countries such as Belgium, who would prefer to retain neutrality.

:)

admfisher

late 44 early 45

Post by admfisher » 30 Aug 2002, 21:01

Late in 44 early 45 the allies actually occupied and fought against the germans from some parts of the line. von Luck talks of the attacks in Lorraine, or Strausburg area. Forgive the spelling.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 31 Aug 2002, 00:12

Well done GFM2000, you are of course correct, how ever the main reason was simply the cost and trouble to the many industrial and economically important towns in norther France. Besides it may not be suitable for defences, but as i recall the one place on the western front in 1914 that didnt move much was the line in the flanders plain. I have visited Vimy Ridge etc.

But whatever the reasons National defence against a known threat and a previous aggressor should have meant that no questions were asked, the fact that they were says something of the french political paralysis in thr late 30's.

admfisher

Post by admfisher » 31 Aug 2002, 05:38

Lord Gort wrote:Well done GFM2000, you are of course correct, how ever the main reason was simply the cost and trouble to the many industrial and economically important towns in norther France. Besides it may not be suitable for defences, but as i recall the one place on the western front in 1914 that didnt move much was the line in the flanders plain. I have visited Vimy Ridge etc.

But whatever the reasons National defence against a known threat and a previous aggressor should have meant that no questions were asked, the fact that they were says something of the french political paralysis in thr late 30's.
Lord I agree with the finacal problem of extending the line but I don't understand your last point. The goverment thought that Germany was paralised, also up till the invasion of France many Germans still regarded the French army highly.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 31 Aug 2002, 13:19

I meant that if the French governemnt werent prepared to risk some more money on a line that they knew would ultimatley defend against a country that had invaded before, and werent prepared to extend the line over an area that the enemey used before to attack through then thats just criminal irresponisbility, even if the mobile forces of the army were in the north.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 31 Aug 2002, 13:21

ZackdeBlanc wrote
The Maginot Line is the stupidest most idiotic thing I have ever heard of. I can't believe the French wasted so much money on it. What a stupid idea.

Given the nature of warfare when the line was first thought off and when it was being built, on what assumption(s) do you base your remarks above.

:D Andy from the Shire

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”