10cm s. K

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Aufklarung

10cm s. K

Post by Aufklarung » 07 Dec 2004, 03:08

Anyone have a pic of this howitzer cum PAK gun?
Tank Vs Tank [i]Kenneth Macksey[/i] 1988 [i]Totem Books[/i] wrote:...the fighting men in the field had to improvise their anti-tank measures by, for example, deploying 88mm dual purpose guns with advanced guards. In addition the powerful medium weapon known as a 100mm gun (it was actually 105mm and called 10cm gun) which was normally placed only in indirect fire support of formations,was integrated with leading units to enhance their chances against enemy KV types. For even that mighty AFV's 110mm armour could not withstand a 31lb shot fire at less than 1000m when it struck at 835m/sec.
There is also an account of it's use at Kamenewo in Oct '41 to turn back a determined assault by new soviet types.

Did this gun fade away when newer PAK types came into service or was it's use as an AT wpn just a temporary stop-gap measure against well slope, thick Red Armour? What replaced it?

regards
A :)

Lkefct

Post by Lkefct » 08 Dec 2004, 00:46

MAny of them where lost in the retreat follwoing the advance on Moscow. There where never huge #'s of them avalible. My understanding is that they are long range artillery for counter battery fire, and the like. They are very big and heavy. By in large, a lot of countries stop using these by WW2 after finding them useful weapons in WW1. I think they where in production through most of WW2, but never in large #'s.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/sel105.htm
http://users.belgacom.net/artillery/art ... tml#208585

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 08 Dec 2004, 01:10

Hi
Thanx.

I was under the impression that the s. K was not the same gun as the s. K18 and 18/40. That second link you gave shows them to be different guns.

Perhaps the same carriage?

regards
A :)

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”