Torpedo Bunkers in Norway

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Natter

Re: Torpedo Bunkers in Norway

Post by Natter » 09 Jun 2015 21:28

underground_Ed wrote:2. I'm very interested in the fact that I believe that at first it was the plan that this torpedobatterie was planned to be an 'normal' torpedo launch installation. At the end, when the Spinne was developed they adjust the installation to become an spinnebatterie. Does someone know ?
I know that a "Spinne-battery" were established in Vlissingen, but I have never seen any documents on this (jooperaya might have more on this). However, I seriously doubt they converted the existing battery. As you can read from previous postings in this thread, the "Spinne-batterien" were initially planned for France, but after the allied invasion and continued attacks made this plans impossible, most batteries were evacuated north to Holland, Belgium, Germany and Denmark (nearly half of all the batteries and torpedoes ended up in Denmark).
The G7f(TX) "Spinne" was based on the G7e(TII), and this torpedo - as all electric torpedoes, due to their more delicate tailsection - would not have been suitable for a surface-launch of the hight you see in the Vlissingen battery. As you also can read from previous posts, there were three different methods of launching the TX-torpedo, and I struggle to see how thay might have implemented any of those in the existing battery... I'd love to be proven wrong by documents/photos though.
underground_Ed wrote:3. And in october 1944, a few days before the assault on Vlissingen by NO4 commando ( 1 november 1944) the Spinnetorpedo's arrived at Vlissingen. The see commandant mentioned this in his kriegstagesbuch. Where are the torpedo's coming from ? Directly from Germany or Rotterdam or Oostende ?
It would be very interesting to see any more documents relating the "Spinne-batteries". As most batteries were under establishment in France, my guess is they might have been transferred from one of the planned/abandoned sites there?
underground_Ed wrote:4. Can someone identify what kind of torpedo they working on (picture).
It's a G7a(TI). It's being prepared for launch (or just readiness), as the airtank is being filled/topped up, and the igniting charge for the boiler-chamber is being inserted (by the guy at the left. I can't tell what the other guy is doing - perhaps removing or adding the safetylock for the starterlever).

underground_Ed

Post by underground_Ed » 09 Jun 2015 22:01

Thank you for your answer
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mainly interested in Vlissingen from 1940 till 1945
Blog : www.flessinghe.nl
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Natter

Post by Natter » 26 Jul 2015 20:39

I've browsed through the (incomplete) ONI-translated KTB of the Skl, and copied all entries I could find related to torpedobatteries (including the Dackel-operations as well).
For those who might find it interesting:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Natter

Post by Natter » 10 Mar 2016 14:45

Natter wrote:I also have a few reports from test-firing of the T10 torpedos from "Seehund" and "Molch" midget submarines (with surprisingly positive results)
...and if the war had lasted longer, the TX would have seen operational use with the Seehund by august 1945 (ref RG242/T-1022 Roll 3225/PG31802):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Natter

Post by Natter » 03 Jun 2016 19:11

I have borrowed the attached photo from the facebook-group "German Warship&U-boat WWII(Kriegsmarine)". It's very interesting, as it shows a G7f(TX) "Spinne" torpedo (of which I had no idea any had survived...).

The photo is taken at the danish SeaWar-museum at Thyborøn (it will be the first stop on my next trip to Denmark... :-) ).

Obviously the torpedo is completely irrelevant for the exibition in the WW1 museum, but it's great to see a surviving TX (I wonder if the danes has preserved other "spinne"-related artifacts..?).

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 03 Jun 2016 20:17

Great news Natter :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 04 Jun 2016 15:01

Looks like a Nordic languages on this picture .

Photo = Ebay

Regards Jos

Natter

Post by Natter » 04 Jun 2016 16:38

jopaerya wrote:Looks like a Nordic languages on this picture .
It's a Whitehead Mod Vd torpedo outside the entrance to Kaholmen Torpedobattery (Oscarsborg Fortress). The battery sunk the cruiser Blücher with two of these on april 9 1940.

The text on the sign is "Adgang forbudt" ("No trespassing")

SES
Financial supporter

Post by SES » 04 Jun 2016 17:08

"Are we supposd to shoot?" "Yes god damm it, we are supposed to shoot".
bregds
SES

Manuferey

Post by Manuferey » 15 Oct 2016 15:07

Another picture of the Vlissingen battery:
VlissingenTBunker.jpg
Emmanuel

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 15 Oct 2016 15:17

:thumbsup: Thanks Emmanuel :thumbsup:

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Nov 2016 12:29

jopaerya wrote:I have a list from the planned Spinne batterie's , but it's very hard to read .
The list fits with your map , please not also the M ( Mole ) and W ( Wagen ) .

Holland 4 site's were planned no town knowns .
Vlissingen = Mole (1)
Zeebrugge = Mole (2)
Oostende = Mole (2)
Nieuwpoort = Mole (2)
Duinkerken = Mole (1)
Duinkerken = Mole (1)
Gravelines = Mole (2)
Calais = Mole (2)
Boulogne = Mole (1)
Boulogne = Mole (1)
Le Havre = Mole (1)
Port en Bessin = Mole (2)
Douarnenez = Mole (1)
Audierne = Wagen (1)
Benodet = Wagen (2)
Pointe du Beg Meil = Wagen (2)
Larmor-Plage = Wagen (2)
Turballe = Wagen (2)
St Nazaire = Mole (1)
Royan = Mole (1)
Point de Grave = Mole (1)
Le Verdon ( Seebrucke ) Mole (1)
Le Lavandou = Wagen (1)
Salines d'Hyeres = Wagen (1)
Bandol ( Baie de Gorgouette ) = Wagen (1)
Anse de point Rouge = Wagen (1)
Balavas = Wagen (1)
Are this info from NARA (for example T-1022 Roll 2141)?

I'd like to get more information about the spinnebatterien in France/ Belgium/ Netherlands/ Germany - it seems impossible to find anything besides the scarse info that can be found in short messages in various NARA-rolls (like the one mentioned above).
It seems strange that there is nothing to be found, when compared to the (in this setting) "massive" info available for the 14 batteries that ended up in Denmark.
Can anyone help with exact location or any additional info at all regarding the non-danish batteries?

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 06 Nov 2016 19:07

Yes Natter

Here some information from the SeeKo Süd-Holland about the Spinne Torpedo at Vlissingen and a drawing of the Keizersbolwerk ( Bastion XI )
Inside the Keizersbolwerk the torpedos were stored and also the Spinne abfeuerstelle was stored there . For a little bit of history the statue
of Michiel de Ruyter was placed on top of the Keizersbolwerk .

Drawing = Vesting Vlissingen + Info = BAMA Freiburg

Regards Jos

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Nov 2016 20:11

jopaerya wrote:Here some information from the SeeKo Süd-Holland about the Spinne Torpedo at Vlissingen and a drawing of the Keizersbolwerk ( Bastion XI )
Ok, thanks.
No dates - are the complete documents not available (I assume they're from the fall of 1944 though).
jopaerya wrote:Inside the Keizersbolwerk the torpedos were stored and also the Spinne abfeuerstelle was stored there.
I struggle to locate the exact position, but I assume the molenbatterie was located in this area: https://www.google.no/maps/@51.4399214, ... a=!3m1!1e3

That must have been very close to the existing torpedobattery, and seem a little reduntant (probably also the reason for the common confusion in regards to mixing it with the "spinne-batterie").

Still, it's strange how little information there is out there considering the original 35 batteries established (or at least in stage of construction) in France and Belgium, then being moved north/east (I reckon there could be a total of more than 60 battery-locations, but no info besides Denmark and Vlissingen).

v60pih

Post by v60pih » 06 Nov 2016 20:43

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”