Heeres-Einheitsschutzlüfter (HES) 1,2 and 2,4

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
MNO KI

Re: Heeres-Einheitsschutzlüfter (HES) 1,2 and 2,4

Post by MNO KI » 18 Jan 2011 00:01

I've seen a few of the smaller room filters that have rotted and fallen apart, and don't recall seeing anything that resembled asbestos. However, I would be very suspicious of the R10 drum filters. We recently found one in a tunnel, and it looked like layers of asbestos sheet in various layers in the drum.

Regards
Paul

grappener

Post by grappener » 18 Jan 2011 18:46

Cheers Paul, thanks for posting on this subject, most of the diagrams from technical manuals that I have seen (including the stuff you kindly passed to me) doesn't have anything such as a cross section of one of the raumfilters so there isn't much to go on for the standard ones.

If these were British then I'd run a mile as they were riddled with the stuff!

cheers

Grappener

M19 MADMAL
Financial supporter
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 18 Jan 2011 21:09

Hi Neil,

The larger of the 2 filter drums for HES only consists of charcoal contained by a metal & fabric mesh to contain it and does not have any protective lining except for paint. The upper filter drum contains (from an example I have seen) a white wadding which resembles cotton wool and I guess would have been treated with an anti-gas chemical originally.

:idea: Niel, a note of caution on the examples that can be found in CIOS bunkers. In the past it was common practice to allow the HES charcoal filled drums to be allowed to absorb diesel until they became tolally saturated with it 8O The idea was that as the charcoal was 'full' of diesel then it would not be at risk of soaking up moisture which would cause the drum to rust from the inside. Be interesting to see what the effects would be if you hooked one up and ran the airpump :lol:

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

MNO KI

Post by MNO KI » 19 Jan 2011 01:16

I thought as we had unearthed some lately it may be interesting to pull one apart. These are very small filters. 300-400mm dia. As you can see the charcoal is confined to the top bottom tapered sections, and the rest is made of the wool material in two parts seperated in the centre by a 10mm steel mesh. It seems to burn so it does not appear to be asbestos, but I won't say that is a definate. It may be worth getting a sample tested.

Regards
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grappener

Post by grappener » 19 Jan 2011 21:42

Nice one Cheers Malcolm and Paul.

Right this is all very useful info. First Malcolm, thanks for the heads up on local filters! looking at what Paul has taken to bits here does reveal an interesting point, these smaller filters look like a standard setup which is good news.

The charcoal is the main adsorbant as chemicals adhere readily to the large surface area activated charcoal presents. The wool/cloth layer would be the "P3" (or particulate filter medium) a mechanical filter to trap larger particles (with modern filters I think it goes down to 0.01microns in size...but don't expect WWII filters to be so efficient!) with two paper layer membrance to hold it all in place.

This interestingly disproves my earlier post, the Viscin-Watte filter must have only trapped larger sized particles as clearly there is a "mechanical filter" to trap smaller particles inside the RaumFilter itself.

But if the RaumFilters for 1.2 and 2.4 are the same as this 0.6 type that Pual has very excellently done a live "dissection" on it's looking promising!

cheers fellas.....nice to see the Channel Islands leading the discussion on this one......c'mon rest of the Atlantik Wall!!!!

cheers

Grappener

Thomas L

Post by Thomas L » 20 Jan 2011 19:17

Another HES 2,4 from the Northern-Norway:

Thomas L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbb20p7

Post by jbb20p7 » 21 Jan 2011 08:43

Hello, there was the same one at WII, near margival (France), a few year ago

Nice Pics

Bye Jb

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 21 Jan 2011 21:22

Hello Thomas

Nice photo's , even the color are still in good condition .
Here a drawing of the Raumfilter R 2.4 .

Regards Jos

P.S. do you have photo of the text on the filter ?

Thomas L

Post by Thomas L » 23 Jan 2011 09:38

Hei Jos,

Sorry, got no photoes of the text on the filter :|
I will take some next time...

Rgds
Thomas L

Projekt-Westwall

Post by Projekt-Westwall » 23 Jan 2011 16:27

Hi Friends,

here is a Picture from a HES 2,4 with it´s Filterpatronen from 1939

BRegards
Markus
ON NE PASSE PAS!

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 31 Jul 2011 22:35

Here is another from Danneberg & Quandt, Berlin. Saved this from the scrap yard, as it was laying ready in a garage to get dumped the next day.

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 31 Jul 2011 22:36

The last picture.

TUS

Post by TUS » 31 Jul 2011 23:41

Good job Tormod :D

Always nice to see some relics saved from the scrap yard, and from the hawks selling on Ebay!

Brgds Tønnes

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 01 Aug 2011 21:42

Thanks Tønnes :) This one is not going either places, hopefully it will get a new "home" in a R620 or in another suitable bunker at MKB Vara.

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 15 Dec 2011 11:52

Hello

I have trouble to understand this text , during a gasattack the right filter should not be used ????

Photo = Dirk Peeters

Regards Jos

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”