The incredible discovered one of a German site forgotten

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Mats

Is dando here?

Post by Mats » 09 Oct 2006, 20:07

Gary, I just heard that your museum has not opened yet. Couldn't you please tell us something about your plans? Do you plan to open it in April at the latest?

I would be pleased to get som info.

Best regards / Mats

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 09 Oct 2006, 21:04

hello,

I am still to pass yesterday in front of all is to close and without maintenance since plusior week?????
:wink: EM

picobello

Post by picobello » 10 Oct 2006, 11:22

Hello from 'a new guy' from Holland.
I visited the Maisy 'complex' last week, and it looks if the whole excavation is stopped. There is a large fence around the complex to keep visitors out. But I was dissapointed about the scale it was suggested,... Some postings here compare it with Point du Hoc, but that area was a much larger aera then this of-fences place. I heard through the man in the local info, that the complex will be opened in the spring of 2007 (but I have my doubts). I visited many complexes through the years, but this place will not tickle my fancy. I was expecting a complex similar to Mont Canisy, or Batterie Azeville, or even the complexes around St Nazair, but it was far from it. I was wondering if the H669 casemats on the field 'next door' are being included with the site of Gary? These are now freely to see because these are on open private land. But the best thing about the whole digging, it will preserve history as a warning for future generations. As General patton ones said (about the Westwall, but goes for the Atlantic Wall also); ‘Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of mankind’. I can't wait to visit the site when it will open (ever).
I will make a website-page of my last visit, and it will be translated to English.

http://www.strijdbewijs.nl

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 10 Oct 2006, 12:36

hi picobello,
welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!! :D,
I think that if you have to visit the site of maisy, you have to cross the barriers
:roll:
the complex of the three bunkers do not form part of the STP maisy and was well differ since, the three R612 casemates in is made the WN84 and the site of maisy is the WN83.
the back of the three R612 has, under the ground, there remain two shelters of which a type with tobrouck, and a VF.
but site is not more important than the others of the sector, except some standard construction and very interesting SK, than I know since I am young,there 30 years
:wink:
ètienne M

David W

Post by David W » 27 Oct 2006, 01:49

Went to GcM & PdH today. Nothing to see at GcM. PdH open but info centre not manned.

Gary, When do you go public?

(technically that 'today' in my post should read 'yesterday', as it has just turned midnight!)

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 05 Feb 2007, 15:27

I plan a trip to that area this spring..anyone has any news?

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 05 Feb 2007, 15:44

hello,
no but in the topic johnf,open in the nex week.
etienne :wink:

Mats

Post by Mats » 05 Feb 2007, 15:57

Ebusitanus!
There was a long topic about the Perruque last year. Have you seen that one?

Mats

sturmvogel

Post by sturmvogel » 07 Feb 2007, 04:34

dando wrote:Firstly may I reply to jopaerya

Your assumption that Maisy was destroyed by HMS Hawkins is just a repetition of the website and other information you quote which is incorrect. Visit the site at Maisy and you will see a) no naval damage at all. b) the site is on the reverse side of a slope and impossible for direct naval fire to destroy it. All damage was from ground troops and aeroplanes. Please stop repeating what is complete nonesense just because you have read it. The report is WRONG. Even the 3 casements at La Martiniere are in full view of the sea and have NO DAMAGE to them at all ! Please can someone who has been varify this so this is not continually repeated. Please look for yourself and then you can comment.
Gary
Gary is correct. Naval gunfire of 6"/15cm and greater generally cannot fire indirectly because they cannot elevate their guns high enough. HMS Hawkins, which only had 7.2" guns, may have engaged the battery at La Martiniere, but could not engaged anything on a reverse slope.

Ric

Post by Ric » 07 Feb 2007, 10:24

Hello all
For the battery of Maisy what is certain it is as it did not have an important role on the unloading as well on Utah beach which could touch or elsewhere….
This battery does not have was the priority of American, It not representing a large threat for DDay et it has quickly was reduced to silence.
Now remains the site which must be sympathetic nerve visited.
Greetings

Batteries of Cotentin
http://perso.orange.fr/batteries.du.cotentin/

moonraker

Post by moonraker » 07 Feb 2007, 10:56

hi ric,
Laugh you! The battery of maisy is lindeman of Normandy.
confused.

:wink:

Ric

Post by Ric » 07 Feb 2007, 11:06

Sorry. :)
Greeting.

sturmvogel

Post by sturmvogel » 07 Feb 2007, 22:18

I misspoke a little earlier in my post about the indirect fire capacity of naval gunfire. Ships can certainly engage targets that they cannot see. However, due to their high-velocity, flat-trajectory guns they have a lot of problems engaging targets on the reverse slope of hills and the like. It really depends on the height difference of any obstacles between the ship and the target. Howitzers don't have this issue because they can elevate their guns enough to drops shells down into ravines and the like if necessary.

Jaso

sturmvogel

Post by sturmvogel » 07 Feb 2007, 22:29

I misspoke a little earlier in my post about the indirect fire capacity of naval gunfire. Ships can certainly engage targets that they cannot see. However, due to their high-velocity, flat-trajectory guns they have a lot of problems engaging targets on the reverse slope of hills and the like. It really depends on the height difference of any obstacles between the ship and the target. Howitzers don't have this issue because they can elevate their guns enough to drops shells down into ravines and the like if necessary.

Jason

ducatim901

Post by ducatim901 » 08 Feb 2007, 08:56

Hi Picobello,
I looked at your site just a minute ago, the so called "open luchtafweerstelling" for the 5 cm Flak is a emplacement for 5cm KwK, and the "belangrijkste kazemat van Wn 88" is not a casemate but for the bunkercrack a very nice example of the VF6a/b (an observationbunker).
Greetings jack.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”