Suppressed handguns, submachineguns, and rifles

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Hyus

Suppressed handguns, submachineguns, and rifles

Post by Hyus » 14 Sep 2020 16:10

Aside from the High Standard HDM and Sten MK IIS and MK VI, were there any other handguns, submachineguns, or rifles that were fitted with suppressors (integral or attached) and used by Allied or Axis personnel during the war? I have heard of Luger P08's with threaded barrels that could mount a suppressor, but I don't know if any were used during the war.

FiveStars

Re: Suppressed handguns, submachineguns, and rifles

Post by FiveStars » 14 Sep 2020 17:43

Yes. The soviets and partisans used bramit devices on mosin nagant rifles and nagant revolvers. Silenced rifles captured by the germans were given the designation "partisanengewehr". Soviets experimented with silenced PPDs and PPSh submachineguns, but nothing became of it and they just remained prototypes. Additionally, a silenced version of the ERMA EMP saw service with the Brandenburgers, one of which was captured and tested by the Soviets in late 1941. To add to that, Kommandoverband "Jaguar" used silenced MP40s, presumably with EMP-style silencers.

Hope I helped with this brief summary.

-Kind Regards

Hyus

Post by Hyus » 14 Sep 2020 18:30

Thank you FiveStars, all info I had never heard before. I knew the Nagant M1895 revolver was capable of mounting a suppressor, but I wasn't sure if any were used during WW2. As for the silenced German smgs and Mosin Nagan rifles, I knew nothing. Do you know if any of these weapons were also used with sub-sonic ammunition?

JTV

Post by JTV » 14 Sep 2020 20:42

Some suggested reading from late P.T. Kekkonen:
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA1.html
http://ns2.connect.fi/gow/QA2.html

FiveStars

Post by FiveStars » 15 Sep 2020 06:14

Hyus wrote:
14 Sep 2020 18:30
Thank you FiveStars, all info I had never heard before. I knew the Nagant M1895 revolver was capable of mounting a suppressor, but I wasn't sure if any were used during WW2. As for the silenced German smgs and Mosin Nagan rifles, I knew nothing. Do you know if any of these weapons were also used with sub-sonic ammunition?
Yes. The Mosin-Nagant rifles and Nagant revolvers to my knowledge used subsonic ammunition. I have no information regarding subsonic 9x19mm and 7.62x25mm ammo.

-Kind Regards

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 15 Sep 2020 07:06

Would the Welrod fit into the category of silenced handguns?
Have a look for the De Lisle carabine/commando carabine.

Waleed

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 15 Sep 2020 14:19

There were silenced versions of the US M3 and M3a1 sub machine guns in both 45 caliber and 9 MM versions. These and Mark IIS STEN guns were still utilized during the Viet Nam War.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Small Arms”