Kar98 1940 JP Sauer 147

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Hrvat96

Kar98 1940 JP Sauer 147

Post by Hrvat96 » 09 Jun 2021, 13:56

Hey guys!

Just picked this up at a local gun store in British Columbia, Canada. I'm pretty excited to share with everybody and get some fresh opinions.

https://ibb.co/album/vxDT5P

Based on the research I've done so far, the rifle itself was made in 1940 and was produced by JP Sauer & Sohn, hence the 147 present on the receiver just above the date. It has all matching components, down to the smallest pieces on the rifle which has me really excited. The serial number is 1105 with a suffix "U", and from what I've read, this means that this was the 201,105th rifle produced that year. It does not have a hooded front sight, common for pre/early war rifles of its kind. Additionally, on the stock, you can clearly see engraved "H" for "Heer" meaning that this rifle went to the German Army in 1940, as opposed to being sent to Sweden as some rifles of this year were.

All that being said, I was informed by the shop owner, who's rifle it was previously, that it does bear some signs of being restored at some point in its lifetime. However, the rifle does not carry any of the common characteristics of being a Russian Capture (ie. Defaced eagles/swastikas, X markings/crossed swords, electro-penciled numerals/8-9 digit serial numbers, etc) and the only thing that would lead me to believe it is an R/C is the somewhat reddish tone of the stock, but I have also seen some controversy on dedicated forums as to whether these are authentic colors or not.

Anyways, that's enough of my own theories! I wanna hear what you guys have to say. I'm just happy to have picked up a piece of history that I can most likely say has "been there and done that" so to speak!

Cheers!

Kris

SVaaka

Re: Kar98 1940 JP Sauer 147

Post by SVaaka » 10 Jun 2021, 18:03

Sure as hell I am not expert with Kar 98, but this in my honest opinion is a fabrication. Stamps do not look as they should, exspecially in stock - compare https://pre98.com/shop/1940-j-p-sauer-c ... rve-stock/ - and make your own conclusions. For sure it is reblued. Even the year-stamps looks like it is electropenciled. Hope I am wrong.

JTV

Post by JTV » 14 Jun 2021, 05:36

You might want to try posting photos of the rifle to K98k Forum in Gunboards:

https://www.gunboards.com/forums/the-k9 ... r-forum.6/

Poot

Post by Poot » 14 Jun 2021, 07:59

I don't enjoy delivering bad news, but this rifle has been heavily reblued, the stock has been re-stamped, and I believe fraudulently stamped, and it also looks like some of the metal parts have been ground, re-stamped and polished over before bluing. That's not a comprehensive list of what's wrong/not original about this rifle, but beyond a certain point, specifying the things that are correct about this rifle would just be pointless. I say that with no malice.

Sauer bluing was very high gloss and 'light' looking, very much unlike this one. I strongly believe that some of the numbers have been re-stamped/faked. If you have a chance of returning this for a refund, I'd definitely do that.

Best of luck,
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Return to “Small Arms”