French MAT 49 (Submachine gun)

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Hans1906

French MAT 49 (Submachine gun)

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Nov 2021 18:40

MAT 49 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAT_49

Video: MAT 49: Iconic SMG of Algeria and Indochina

I had this French MP several times in the hand, whether we have shot with it, probably on an American shooting range here in Germany, that I remember unfortunately no more ?
I ask for your opinions about this gun, thank you very much...

Hans
Es ist im Leben wichtig, viel zu wissen.
Manchmal ist es noch wichtiger, zu wissen, daß man nichts weiß.

AETIUS 1980

Re: French MAT 49 (Submachine gun)

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 10 Nov 2021 18:43

Good weapon for airport troops because of its ergonomics. The principle of the retractable charger well being an innovation. On the other hand, beyond the 50 meters range and the power of 9 MM limits its capacities.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Nov 2021 19:15

AETIUS 1980,

I recall, that the MAT 49 was called an "inferior" weapon, as was the American M3, which we discussed earlier.

Probably a false memory on my part, certainly not without reason the North Vietnamese Army still used this MP decades later, whether with or without success, that should not be the topic here...

Hans

mikel

Post by mikel » 24 Nov 2021 00:53

We picked a MAT 49, a PPSH 43, and a MN Sniper out of a bunker stashed by some VC. They had been there a while but were serviceable.
The MAT was kind of a neat piece.
I don't believe they were ever commonly used, by actual VC Guerillas, but they had lots of various weapons in their early days.
The NVA were a regular military formation and never would have used cast off stuff like this.
By mid 60s or earlier, they had petty much dropped SKS for AKs.
A gigantic stash of brand new SKS was captured in 1970 by 3 Corps Mike Force. They choppered out load after load and at the end of the day Blew up what remained.
I saw the pile of recovered SKS near the Cambode gate, hundreds of them under a canopy, at 3 Corps SF HQ as I was out processing.
Dunno where they ended up. Guarded by some Cambode strikers who waved off the curious.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 24 Nov 2021 02:41

Thanks mikel,

first-hand impressions and memories are important, thank you very much for your service.

That's all I can personally contribute, this French MP was hawked for chump change in the 1970's and almost no one was interested in this weapon.

Hans

AETIUS 1980

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 24 Nov 2021 08:47

We must keep in mind that the MAT.49 submachine gun, or AA.52 machine guns or MAS.49/56 semi-automatic rifles are weapons developed during WWII by teams of engineers operating in outside the official wings. The development, but above all their productions in the aftermath of the conflict, wanted to be perceived as a desire to display a rebirth of the French army. This renewal, punctuated by a need to free itself from external aid (Plan Marschall for example) may justify the unfinished business for certain equipment. It remains only the PM.MAT.49 is at the base is a weapon designed for airborne troops, justifying its small size and its ability to retract. Perfectible, it will however be kept until the end of the 1980s, like the other weapons mentioned.
Regards
AETIUS

Return to “Small Arms”