Early Mauser HSc pistols

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Adler

Early Mauser HSc pistols

Post by Adler » 21 Nov 2002, 03:41

Seeking data on early Mauser HSc pistols, between serial numbers 700,001 and 701,250, for a research project (Am not aware of any HSc Forum or site)

This production lot consisted of high-quality, commercial pistols from which the Kriegsmarine (Navy) began their procurements, which bear an eagle over an M engraved on the front grip strap above the serial number.

1) Can anyone verify that any of the following six reported HSc pistols somewhere out there bear the above described Navy proof: 700067, 700129, 700220, 700223, 700322 and 700395?
2) Does anyone have, or know of, additional surviving serial numbers in this serial range of 700,001 to 701,250? (Other than those in Jan Still's "Axis Pistols")
3) Interested only in serial number data, not who, what or where. Photos would be too much to hope for!
Thanks to all.

wolfen

Post by wolfen » 21 Nov 2002, 06:04

Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » 22 Nov 2002, 13:59

Phew, that's a pretty specific set of requests you've got there Adler!
Mind if I ask what kind of project it is you're doing? Are you planning to share the results with us?

I think the only practical help I can offer you is to advise you that you may never get the answers you're looking for, so don't hold your breath. It may be hard to know which countries those pistols ended up in, let alone find anyone who can actually produce the documentation (or weapon) to show that they definitely did or did not have a given mark. Any which ended up being held illegally may have since been destroyed, or at best the present owner may not want to be found (some European countries have really unfriendly laws for people holding unlicensed firearms, antique or not).

Good luck.
Zygmunt

Adler

Early Mauser HSc pistols

Post by Adler » 23 Nov 2002, 01:04

Zygmunt:

I really appreciate your input and you’re absolutely right that, at first glance, my posting appears to be overly ambitious, if not impossible!

But, I’m focusing on only the first 1341 Mauser HSc’s (low grip screw variety) produced starting in late 1940. These serials run from 700,001 to 701,341, and are very rare. After that, regular production, with the grip screws relocated 20mm higher on the grip, continued for an additional 250,000 or so pistols until war’s end in 1945,

My interest is in determining which of these first HSc pistols were procured and proofed by the Kriegsmarine from among otherwise newly introduced commercial pistols. Only Kriegsmarine and commercial pistols will be found in this first production. Army and Police procurement came later.

It’s generally accepted that the total Kriegsmarine procurement from this first production lot of 1341 pistols totaled approx 500 pieces. I’m simply trying to see if anyone out there has any information to confirm whether or not the six serial numbers that I listed bear the Kriegsmarine proof on the front grip strap. These six numbers have been reported among other low grip screw reported serial numbers. Assumedly, these are in the hands of collectors, museums, etc. In other words, they exist and have been reported somewhere along the line. Some of these early pistols were incorrectly described as being KM proofed, while in fact they were not. That’s what’s behind my posting.

Navy procurement of thousands of HSc pistols continued throughout the war and those would be impossible to track. Who knows how many are at the bottom of the Atlantic, destroyed, etc.

Yes, this is a very specialized search and I’d be most happy to share whatever I come up with down the road. For those interested in, but not familiar with the Mauser HSc low grip screw variety, see top of page 173 in Jan Still’s Axis Pistols. If I knew how to post a photo to this site, I would do so. Finally, I do apologize for the length of this posting, yet those not interested wouldn’t have gotten this far.

varjag

Post by varjag » 23 Nov 2002, 05:20

Try http://www.napca.net

they usually have their serials and variations well recorded.

Return to “Small Arms”