9mm ammunition question

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Kim
Financial supporter

9mm ammunition question

Post by Kim » 22 Apr 2002 21:26

My father was firing a Walther P38 in 1944 when a bullet became lodged in the end of the barrel,ballooning,but not bursting it. He was told that there was ammo built to "sloppier" tolererances for the MP 38 and MP 40 that was not up to specifications for pistol use. He never found any verification about different ammo for handguns and machine pistols,nor have I.Any info about this? {By the way,Dad replaced the barrel the next day,and the pistol still functions perfectly. I carry it as a reliable sidearm from time to time.} Regards, Kim

Fred

Post by Fred » 23 Apr 2002 08:00

The Swedish army used two different types of 9mm. ammo. model 39 and 39b. The model 39 ammo was a regular 9mm, and the 39b was used in the swedish MP Carl Gustav. The 39b uses a thicker jacket that produce high pressure not suited for handguns accept Glock and other very strong designs.

Fred.
Last edited by Fred on 03 May 2002 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

MadJim

dont think so

Post by MadJim » 30 Apr 2002 02:44

That's probably a myth.

Chamber pressures may vary because of war time conditions - a case that was only partially charged may have caused the bullet to be caught in the barrel.

The origins are that the Germans did produce a special "proof" round that operated at a much higher chamber pressure - this round was only meant to test a firearm and not be used regularly.

Always have old firearms checked by a competent gun smith and then use modern professionally assembled cartridges designed for modern fire arms.

always aim for center mass! :mrgreen:

Zapfenstreich

Re: 9mm ammunition question

Post by Zapfenstreich » 30 Apr 2002 17:21

Kim wrote:My father was firing a Walther P38 in 1944 when a bullet became lodged in the end of the barrel,ballooning,but not bursting it. He was told that there was ammo built to "sloppier" tolererances for the MP 38 and MP 40 that was not up to specifications for pistol use. He never found any verification about different ammo for handguns and machine pistols,nor have I.Any info about this? {By the way,Dad replaced the barrel the next day,and the pistol still functions perfectly. I carry it as a reliable sidearm from time to time.} Regards, Kim

Kim

I don't know about tolerances but there really was a difference between regular 9mm ammo and that loaded for sub-machine guns. I think the main difference was in the powder charge.

I had a 9mm Pistole '08 (Luger) that had a tendency to stove pipe from time to time. Pop Brown, one of our local experts, told me to try the sub-machine gum ammo, some of which he gave me. Not only did it eliminate the stove-piping but at 25 yards it raised the strike of the bullet about six inches higher on the target from that of the regular 9mm ammo.

Hope this answers your questions.

Z

MadJim

its a myth brothers

Post by MadJim » 01 May 2002 00:00

I knew I had it in writing somewhere:

"German, British, Canadian, and US Commercial 9mm Luger cartridges are probably the most common in America. Millions upon millions were turned out during WW2 by both sides, for use in a wide variety of pistols and submachineguns.

The P38 pistol will shoot any of this war time ammunition. Contrary to popular opinion the Germans did not make a special loading for machine pistols. The black bulleted 9mm ammo merely indicated that it has a semi-armor piercing steel core."

Know your Walther P38 Pistols by EJ Hoffschmidt page 48
Last edited by MadJim on 01 May 2002 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

Kim
Financial supporter

Post by Kim » 01 May 2002 21:18

:D Thanks a lot,guys,I'll pass the info along to my Dad. Cheers, Kim

Return to “Small Arms”