FG42 magazine.

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
pitfighter

FG42 magazine.

Post by pitfighter » 25 Aug 2015, 05:26

I have desired one of these for some time, I had thought I was going to have to make do with a reproduction and even an authentically sized reproduction proved a challenge to acquire. The pictured reproduction magazine, (on the left,) is manufactured by Dietrich for their series of FG42 replica's, the BD42.

(I own a Shoei Japanese made reproduction FG42, too, but the Shoei magazines are not correctly sized - too small, albeit they are great replicas.)

The original magazine (on the right), M20-42 for the G-type (late model) FG42 is quite rare.

Even though the E-type (Early model) FG42 is rarer, in terms of production numbers (approx 2K E-type to approx 5K G-type), the magazines for the G-type (later model) are rarer, and more desirable - go figure.
So, this is quite a rare beast.

The only stamping, is the Sjl 01 on the side of the magazine.
This is not on all magazines, but is on:
The FG42 magazine at the Springfield Armory Museum.
The last FG42 sold by RIA.

It is not the Krieghoff factory code, with is Fzs - if anyone has information on the code meaning please share.

Thanks for looking.

*The bayonet is a handmade replica by Estes Adams who makes internal replacement parts for the FG42 series.

dalek

Re: FG42 magazine.

Post by dalek » 28 Nov 2015, 20:09

Was the original also spot welded on the spine, but just better finished?

pitfighter

Post by pitfighter » 01 Dec 2015, 10:51

I took it out to check - Dalek,

When the original is held just a few degrees differently you can see the spot welds quite clearly, they are only fractionally less prominent than on the SSD reproduction magazine and in almost identical positions - they are better finished, but it is minimal in this regard, it looks like the spot weld or whatever the mechanical process was did not leave such an indentation in the steel.

The chemical blue which is almost matte on the SSD, was at one time a high-polish on the original.

Lordsandy

Post by Lordsandy » 29 Nov 2019, 03:09

Hello Pitfighter.
Please contact me if you have any interest in selling this magazine please?
Thank you.

Return to “Small Arms”