AC44 G43 with bent safety lever.

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
swarrenb

AC44 G43 with bent safety lever.

Post by swarrenb » 19 Apr 2016, 18:19

I recently acquired an ac44 marked G43 that was made in the first half of 1944 because it has the threaded barrel. The serial # matches on the receiver, bolt carrier, and on the underside of the stock, and there are no import marks on it. Overall, the gun is in great shape and even had a spare extractor and spare two piece firing pin in a ziplock baggy that I found in the buttstock behind the trapdoor.
I was so enthralled by the matching #'s and the overall great shape of the gun, that I did not notice that the safety lever on the rear of the gun is bent. It is not bent that much, but just enough such that it hits the takedown button when I try to push it over to then remove the bolt which means that I cannot take the bolt off to inspect and clean it.

Please allow me to state that I missed while inspecting it prior to purchase because I did not know how to take down a G43 and remove the bolt at that time. I discovered this after the fact after watching a YouTube video on the proper takedown of a G43.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this issue without either ruining the gun and/or ruining my pocketbook? Your expert assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is simply to be able to takedown the gun to further inspect it and be able to clean it as needed.

**Please allow me to state that I am a purist at heart who believes that older battle firearms should be left as they are and that the only work that should be done on them is that which renders them safe to shoot without compromising the historical aesthetics of them.

TomGun

Re: AC44 G43 with bent safety lever.

Post by TomGun » 21 Apr 2016, 22:19

How much would you have to bend it back to be able to clear the takedown button? If not much you could gingerly try to bend it back, just enough to be able to strip it and clean it, but I'm aware that this is likely to snap but other than leaving it as is this is probably your only option, good luck

Tom

pitfighter

Re: AC44 G43 with bent safety lever.

Post by pitfighter » 20 May 2016, 04:16

Do not try to bend it back by hand!!!!!!

G43 safeties are notoriously susceptible to breakage - leave it as is.
If you absolutely must take it down, and cannot live without it, look up Rob Apfeltor and contact him, send the rifle over and he will fix it.

Return to “Small Arms”