Closing bold on stripper clips

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
38hfan

Closing bold on stripper clips

Post by 38hfan » 31 Mar 2017, 05:54

Good day.
Really new to this Forum, but here goes.
My local gun store tipped me on a Mauser Kar98k, which I bought immediately. Then a day later, my trigger finger bent 90 degrees in the wrong direction. I am still wearing a splint, so no shots fired yet.
The loading procedure with the clips is straightforward. However, will closing the bolt with the clip still in place damage the clip? I know the clips have been made in the tens of millions. And it did save a small amount of time to not manually remove the clip.
But, since I won't be in combat or have access to limitless clips, will this harm them?
Thanks for any input.

paulrward

Re: Closing bold on stripper clips

Post by paulrward » 01 Apr 2017, 23:11

Hello Mr. 38hfan :

A good way to work it is to hold the loaded clip by the clip portion with your right hand, position it over the open action, and then, wrapping the fingers of your left hand around the right side of the rifle, use your left thumb to press the cartridges down into the magazine. Then, when the clip is empty, you just pull it out with your right thumb and forefinger, and discard it. Takes about three seconds with a 1903 Springfield.

Respectfully ;

Paul R. Ward
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices that are banned, are voices who cannot share information....
Discussions that are silenced, are discussions that will occur elsewhere !

Knouterer

Re: Closing bold on stripper clips

Post by Knouterer » 02 Apr 2017, 17:29

What the OP is referring to, I believe, is the possibility of closing the bolt without removing the empty clip first. The bolt face of Mauser 98 rifles is shaped in such a way that it will force the clip out. This will save a second on loading, but of course later on you lose three seconds when you have to pick up the clip from the ground, so unless you are actually in combat, I see no real advantage.

As to the question of whether this method will (eventually) damage clips, opinion seems to be divided on that. Some say it won't, others believe it may.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Return to “Small Arms”