K98 bayonet. Help needed please! Rework? Not Yugo i assume so im wondering what country. May help others on topic

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
OIF/OEF_Cavalry

K98 bayonet. Help needed please! Rework? Not Yugo i assume so im wondering what country. May help others on topic

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 03 Feb 2018 16:23

I know this is not for me to ask as if a person coming to a carnival and asking people to preform tricks on my demand. I know this is a favor that takes time out of your day to answer me and i am grateful! I recognize that for sure! I also do not think i have something special thats not already out there, but i need a little help on the rest of this understanding. Now that the preamble is out of the way...respectfully...the question at hand.
I have a mid-late 1937 Dürkopp bayonet denoted by the change to the later waffenamt stamping alphanumerical code Dürkopp changed to. It has matching serial numbers on bayonet and scabbard...3333. The problem is i have what i assume is a “rework” as it has different numbers on the “guard” or what would be the muzzel ring. I know that Yugoslavian bayonets are famous for this, but they also, in my understanding, put the same reworked serial number on the frog stud. There is no number on the frog stud. From the antique frog’s brittle leather, this scabbard was not put in that frog anytime recently and is probably the original from the time it was sleeved into it. There is no makers mark/stamping on the frog that i can see or discern on the back. Was this reworked in a different country then? I also understand that German Soldiers with quartermaster responsibilities at the company or battalion level sometimes did this when replacing a lost bayo or scabbard or what not, but since these are matching i do not see even that being a factor. Besides there are no letters in the serial number which would’ve been done by tge German if I understand correctly on that as well? So as an alpha numeric serial number that is absent. It is just numbers.
Could somebody tell me if this is product of a different country that would’ve gotten surplus German bayonets after the war? What country is famous for reworking a serial number just on the guard/muzzel ring or lack there of? Thank you! If nobody answers, I understand. You owe me nothing and i have given nothing in return.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Draw me not without reason, sheath me not without honor.” - Conduct of a Cav Troopers saber.

Frederick Prinz

Re: K98 bayonet. Help needed please! Rework? Not Yugo i assume so im wondering what country. May help others on topic

Post by Frederick Prinz » 04 Feb 2018 06:09

............... I have a mid-late 1937 Dürkopp bayonet denoted by the change to the later waffenamt stamping alphanumerical code Dürkopp changed to. It has matching serial numbers on bayonet and scabbard...3333. The problem is i have what i assume is a “rework” as it has different numbers on the “guard” or what would be the muzzel ring................

Not unlike some of the rifles, depending on the time frame, Yugoslavian bayonets in general are all over the place ranging from almost untouched with just an old Yugoslavian frog - to various kinds of reworking. And with just the one photo to go on it could be Yugoslavian with some of the other countries having different kinds of indictors. FP

OIF/OEF_Cavalry

Re: K98 bayonet. Help needed please! Rework? Not Yugo i assume so im wondering what country. May help others on topic

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 04 Feb 2018 06:37

Ok, great, thank you so very much!!! I value and sincerely treasure any time given for help as I am sincerely grateful! I tried asking in the most respectful way i knew how.
If theres other photos you think would be beneficial, id be more than glad to upload. It was giving me an issue if the phots were too broad. The forum photo uploader wanted smaller photos which are great for detail, but maybe not so much as an overall view. I will add more photos regardless. Honestly it looks like theres nothing other than those numbers that have any change to the bayo. German frog, scabbard, and bayo with correct waffenamt in all locations. Its as if it was handed to the person/arsenal and they punched those numbers in right off of the WWII battlefield...so to say. In very good condition though so im sure it didnt see much wartime use if any. Thank you for your time to give me an idea!
“Draw me not without reason, sheath me not without honor.” - Conduct of a Cav Troopers saber.

OIF/OEF_Cavalry

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 04 Feb 2018 06:50

3D441467-38DB-458F-B5AE-65B0DC4BF962.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OIF/OEF_Cavalry

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 04 Feb 2018 06:59

FCA6024C-17BF-4A76-B750-6F7C928F42E8.jpeg
8334D5A0-3392-4DBF-9015-F92BCDB21D1E.jpeg
32FE124F-0055-4885-871A-01533AB031FE.jpeg

OIF/OEF_Cavalry

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 04 Feb 2018 07:05

Idk, i tryied my best. I have more photos i took, but battling the uploader as to what size these photos need to be. I have to shrink the photos way down each time and I haven’t figured out the optimum size for the forum yet. I am sure its listed, but i need to take the time to read it and find out. Thank you very much for the help!

OIF/OEF_Cavalry

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 04 Feb 2018 07:09

142EFD1C-B498-4D03-8FB2-5A7DA85A012E.jpeg

OIF/OEF_Cavalry

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 04 Feb 2018 07:38

I also have one with a cross hatched tang plate/heat shield on a K98. If you have an opinion on that i would appreciate as well. I do not think i have anything special here either. In fact it seems that maybe that was added later on maybe? I do not know. I am yet to see one. This was bought by a service member i served with in Germany years ago. This was my very first k98 bayonet. Has this type of cross hatching been seen on others or from other countries doing a rework? Thank you!
64DCCBA3-C487-4755-B608-E1BB80668B76.jpeg
2DCD5FC9-93B1-43CF-97E2-0D8695BA2B5E.jpeg

Frederick Prinz

Post by Frederick Prinz » 04 Feb 2018 08:53

The new photos do help, with the Dürkopp looking to be period versus a postwar rework - and recalling a very limited number of cross guard marked bayonets that may have been depot reworks that were in the U.S. prior to some of the large scale imports from the East Bloc and other places. As for the checkered/cross-hatched flashguard equipped bayonet just posted - it's believed to be an East German rework. FP

OIF/OEF_Cavalry

Post by OIF/OEF_Cavalry » 04 Feb 2018 13:50

Thank you so much for the valuable information! These questions have plagued me for some time about these two! Theres not much on either of these situations/configurations that i could find. Matching these examples that i could go on. Just that the first one was possibly a yugo rework. I hope this helps others looking that may come across this. So that its not as much of a selfish act asking of all of you members on your expertise. AGAIN...THANK YOU! Thank you, FP!

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 04 Feb 2018 16:59

To OIF etc. and others. Not bajonet related but a little hint to pictures. Many use the camera from phones to take pictures of various items, stamps etc. These have some limitations when taking close-ups. My simple trick is to use a small magnifying glass (from a toy) in front of the lense. Not hitech but surprisingly effective for detail pictures. Related to the above posted pictures it would make the text on WaA and lock button readable. If examples are wanted I can do some.

waleed

Return to “Small Arms”