Haerens Laboratorium Bullets

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Dublt

Haerens Laboratorium Bullets

Post by Dublt » 31 Mar 2018, 22:01

I was out with some friends exploring a battlefield area to the North-East of Elsenborn Ridge. We were looking around under a bridge and my friend found these 4 bullets between some rocks. After a bit of research I have determined that they were produced by Haerens Laboratorium, abbreviated "HL" and from what I have read, they were produced in Denmark from 1912-1937. These particular bullets appear to have been made in 1929. Also from what I have been reading, this bullet was used in the Krag–Jørgensen rifle. It seems only around 3,000 German Krag–Jørgensen rifles were produced which would possibly make these quite rare. What are the chances of finding these in a Battle of the Bulge area? Are these very rare ammunition? Any info and comments are appreciated. :milsmile: (Also sorry for any poor quality photos, it is hard to get them focused at close proximity.)
IMG_1528 (2).JPG
The 4 Bullets and their headstamps.
IMG_1530_LI.jpg
IMG_1530_LI.jpg (294.55 KiB) Viewed 15852 times
Close up of a headstamps (I drew over the markings for a better understanding of them)
IMG_1537 (2).JPG
IMG_1533 (2).JPG
One of the bullets had a hole in it.
IMG_1531 (4).JPG
2 bullets were missing from the blob of corrosion holding the bullets together, so it would have been a set of 6 had this not happened.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: Haerens Laboratorium Bullets

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 01 Apr 2018, 12:02

Nice find and correct, Danish made and stamped for the M89 rifle. About how rare they might be, I would say not so rare if just considering the casings. Have a handfull of them myself stamped with "HL" and the earlier "crown" too. As whole ammunition and found where you have found them they might be worth something.

waleed

Poot

Post by Poot » 02 Apr 2018, 21:58

Very interesting, and NOT where I'd expect them to be found. Non-standard capture rifles requiring cartridges outside the usual supply chain were typically relegated to rear areas, especially considering the evidence of period photos of them in use. I'm definitely surprised they'd be used in an area of (very) active combat operations like that of Belgium during the Ardennes offensive.

I have a German-captured Danish Model 1889/10 rifle with German depot stamps, but it looks like it never came out of the rifle rack.

Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

WilliamDS

Post by WilliamDS » 04 Apr 2018, 07:13

Possibly dropped post war by by a hunter? 8x58R is a decent deer cartridge, and I'm sure that like many other prewar and wartime rounds it became surplus and was sold off when 7.62 NATO was adopted.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 04 Apr 2018, 18:04

Hi again Dubit!
Found some prizes for you on a danish site.
30 rounds of 1930s danish HL in original boxes can be bought for 250 Dkk. (that's around 30 Euros or 40 USD).
Here's the link: https://www.jjsu.dk/samler-ammunition/
waleed

Return to “Small Arms”