MG 42; "Hitlersäge"

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
South
Financial supporter

MG 42; "Hitlersäge"

Post by South » 14 Jan 2019 12:15

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... r-ii-41417

Good morning all,
Above about the MG 42. It's not about light weight tripods. The article is about the German machine gun doctrine. Ever change a hot barrel ?!
A 22 pound ammo can is really less about the weight but rather if the soldier can grab 2 cans in one hand. The US cans were ideal for packing,storage and shipping; the handle folded flat. Grabbing 2 cans of ammo in one hand ? Not easy.
I'm posting this article for the history component; not the quality of the MG.
~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Hohlladung

Re: MG 42; "Hitlersäge"

Post by Hohlladung » 14 Jan 2019 19:53

Hi Bob,
Thx for the interesting link.
You will find another interesting link for the MG34 and MG42 and their additional equipment under:

www.bergflak.com

Don't know the MG42, but shot " tons of ammo" with the successor MG3. It really is a very good MG.

Changing a hot barrel?
You only do it once with bare hands. After that you remember to use the asbestos cloth, which is formed with two pockets for the fingers and the thumb, to easily grab the barrel. A good MG-Gunner changes a barrel under 3 seconds.

Carrying ammo boxes?
The handle of the ammo box is set to the side, so if you take a second box and turn it around by 180 degrees, you can easily grab both.
Like you already mentioned, the problem is the weight fully loaded.
I noticed pictures, where two ammo boxes are carried with straps over the shoulder.
Carrying the ammo belts around your neck is also possible and looks cool, but the belts can geht dirty going down for cover on the ground.

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

South
Financial supporter

Re: MG 42; "Hitlersäge"

Post by South » 14 Jan 2019 21:28

Good afternoon Hohlladung / Armin,

Appreciate contribution to the thread.

Later will glance at link.

If the mentioned "asbestos cloth" is something like an asbestos glove, I once saw one of these gloves at Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois. About 6 sand bags folded on the sand bags' long axis and wrapped around the barrel was a field expedient because I never again saw the needed asbestos glove.

As an aside, the new US .50 cal machine gun no longer requires a new barrel to be screwed in and unscrewed 3 clicks - and then the spacing gauge. Now, just screw in the barrel all the way and the thing's ready.

Soon enough, let's hope for laser MGs !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “Small Arms”