K98 variants, issuance, and usage questions

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Double Dare

K98 variants, issuance, and usage questions

Post by Double Dare » 06 Jun 2003, 21:22

I'm very interested to know if the "postman rifle" and the k98b were issued to frontline troops and if so, what kind of soldiers (gebirgstruppen, etc.) used them?
Any help in the matter would be greatly valued.
Thanks.

Nick

aardvark

Post by aardvark » 07 Jun 2003, 04:23

8O Dare there are no easy answers to your questions. First the K98b was a post WWI rifle.The only difference between it and the G98 was it's rear sights , the K had a more modern tangent sight like the K98k. The G 98 used what was called a Lange rear sight[ it looks like a roller coaster], Most K98b were rebuilt G98's. They may have been issued to the Volks Sturm at the End of the war. The postal rifles were the forerunners of theK98k,infornation is a little hard to come by. Postal rifles were mark with the Riechpost name and markings. Some have appeared in a shipment of K98k that came from Russia in the last year. It is quite possible that the Nazies used these postal rifles to arm some units later in the war. (K 98 K's have been found with Portuguese markings which indicates they were redirected from an order placed by Portugal during WW2. There are also some K 98's with the Mauser banner on them, which would indicate they were once intended for export but instead issued to German units) Be leary of purchasing any firearm which has the postal mark on it. Real postal rifles sell for a very good price, the Russian captured rifles are parts guns and sell for much less. Use a search engine and check K 98 sites, you will find some useful information

Double Dare

Post by Double Dare » 07 Jun 2003, 11:36

Aardvark,

Thanks for shedding some light on the matter. I did a little research after my initial posting and found that indeed, there is no simple answer to my question. The information you shared with me though is pretty much what I needed to know.
Thanks very much as well for your advice on the purchase of rifles. It is just for this reason that I asked my question. I shall proceed cautiously.

All the best,
Nick

Leibstandarte_reenactor

Post by Leibstandarte_reenactor » 10 Jun 2003, 06:20

i think the K98Bb was used in early ww2. but were replaced with the k98k

Craig
My Honor is Loyalty

Return to “Small Arms”