MAS 38 and French Smallarms in use by the 21st Panzer Division

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
FiveStars

MAS 38 and French Smallarms in use by the 21st Panzer Division

Post by FiveStars » 01 Jun 2020, 21:57

Greetings Gentlemen,

So going over some old conversations in a text app, I notice one of the people there mentioning that the 21st Panzer Division used MAS 38 SMGs and other French smallarms citing original documents. However, I have been unable to find them, which is why I ask you fellas to help me out here. Would anyone have reputable evidence of French smallarms being used by this specific unit?

Kind Regards
-Maks

Knouterer

Re: MAS 38 and French Smallarms in use by the 21st Panzer Division

Post by Knouterer » 02 Jun 2020, 09:15

Quite likely, but not in North Africa, but in France in 1943-44, after the division had been reconstituted. It was at that time largely equipped with French vehicles and may well have used French small arms as well. Fewer than 2,000 MAS 38 submachine guns had been produced by the time the French surrendered, but production continued for the Vichy army (St. Etienne was in the "zone libre"). When the latter was disarmed in 1943 I imagine the Germans took over everything that was usable, or handed it over to their allies. Up to then about 14,000 had been made (of which many went to North Africa), and 15,000 more were made for the Germans until they evacuated the area in 1944 (according to John Walter). Production for the French forces resumed soon after that.
The Germans could hardly afford to throw anything away. I remember a picture of a German general surrendering and handing over his sidearm to American officers. It was an 8 mm Lebel model 1892 revolver.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Return to “Small Arms”