Sauer and Sohn pistol

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
ragged rebel flag

Sauer and Sohn pistol

Post by ragged rebel flag » 05 Jun 2020, 17:58

I acquired a 32 caliber pistol I believe to be a Sauer and Sohn. It looks exactly like a 38H. But, does not have the switch on the side to change from single action to double action. The gun has no markings except CHD 7.65 and the serial number which is 5112xx. The gun has rough machining markings on it. So I believe it is late war. The man I got it from said it was probably made after the Russians took over Germany, and that is why there are no markings on it.
Anybody out there familiar with this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chitoryu12

Re: Sauer and Sohn pistol

Post by chitoryu12 » 05 Jun 2020, 22:30

Can you post a picture? "chd" I believe is the Deutsche Industrie-Werke AG (Spandau) manufacturer's mark.

chitoryu12

Post by chitoryu12 » 05 Jun 2020, 22:41

Actually, I may have found your answer!

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/ww2 ... 06255.html
This is an end-of-war production Sauer 38h pistol. The pistol has a phosphate trigger and the rest of the pistol is blued. The bluing is lightly discolored on various spots throughout the slide. There are some light brownish colored areas and a few darker spots. I believe this is most likely due to rushed production methods at the time which led to the finish wearing down quicker and differently. The slide is not matching to the frame and there are no proofs. There is also no safety lever on the slide. These are end-of-war production features, and we think the slide is mismatching most likely because the G.I.s put this together as a "souvenir" gun from the factory.

ragged rebel flag

Post by ragged rebel flag » 07 Jun 2020, 13:43

That is the gun! Thank you to all that replied. I really do appreciate it.

ragged rebel flag

Post by ragged rebel flag » 07 Jun 2020, 13:50

I was a bit hasty in agreeing to the photo and description. The one I have does not have the lever on the left side to change it from single action to double action. Why would that be? Thanks again to all that reply.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 09 Jun 2020, 08:32

Towards the end of the war, in desperate attempts to keep up production, weapons were generally simplified or "entfeinert", by omitting everything that was not absolutely necessary for the weapon to function, inferior materials were substituted, finishes became extremely rough, etc.
Some late production 38H pistols lack both the decocking lever and the safety:
https://modernfirearms.net/en/handguns/ ... r-38h-eng/
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

ragged rebel flag

Post by ragged rebel flag » 10 Jun 2020, 00:21

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much for the reply.

Return to “Small Arms”