Austrian Weapons in Norway

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
FiveStars

Austrian Weapons in Norway

Post by FiveStars » 09 Jan 2021, 14:19

Greetings to all, Happy Holidays.

There is, on the internet, a quite famous photograph of a Gebirgsjaeger armed with a MG30, presumably in Narvik.

Furthermore, I have encountered several photographs of MP34s in Norway, aswell as more non-Norwegian GJ photographs where they are also armed with MG30s. With some degree of certainty, I assume that the Gebirgsjaegers in question are from the 2. Gebirgs Division, which was formed out of Austrian units after the Anschluss. Unfortunatley, division strength and equipment rolls do not go into detail about the different types of weapons used by the unit, instead grouping weapons by type, which is why I turn to fellow forumites. Do you have any photographs of Austrian weaponry in Norway? Any information about Austrian equipment used by the 2. GJ division? All help would be heartily appreciated.

-Warmest Regards

Poot

Re: Austrian Weapons in Norway

Post by Poot » 09 Jan 2021, 20:53

FiveStars,
Existing Austrian small arms were absorbed into the Wehrmacht following the Anschluss or were sold to other countries, like the majority of M1895 Mannlicher rifles and carbines were to Bulgaria. Distribution of these arms wouldn't necessarily follow along national origin lines either, and could be used by any branch of service.

I believe that particular photo is a propaganda photo taken during training.

Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 13 Jan 2021, 12:20

Apparently, after the Anschluss Austrian weapons in 8x56R were put in storage or issued to police forces, but as the German war industry was unable to meet the demand for MG 34s, the M.30 LMGs were later on taken out again and issued to frontline troops.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jan 2021, 12:38

Hi Guys,

If I remember correctly, small arms possessed by the Austro-Hungarian successor states used the same round as the Germans.

If so, this would simplify logistics.

According to several sources on Google, apparently the Austrian ADMK Mulus wheel-cum-track carrier, which was used by mountain divisions, was also employed in Norway in 1940.

There is already a thread on this vehicle on AHF:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=245952

Also: http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepage_ ... -wark.html

Cheers,

Sid.

Poot

Post by Poot » 13 Jan 2021, 19:00

Only a minority of Austrian Mannlicher rifles and carbines (and 8X56R ammunition) were put into storage. A huge amount was sold by to Bulgaria, who sold off their own inventory in the 1990s with most of it winding up on the collector's market in the USA.

Germany used the 7.92X57 (s.S.) cartridge for domestically produced rifles and MGs, and this was incompatible with weapons chambered in 8X56R. Hungary continued use of rifles and carbines in 8X56R until 1943, when they began producing and issuing the 43M rifle, which was chambered in 7.92X57. For all intents and purposes, the 43M was a Hungarian copy of the excellent German G.98/40 rifle, which was produced in Budapest from 1941-1944.

Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Jan 2021, 21:12

Question:

Was the photo colored later, I am not aware about color photographs from a former PK "Kriegsberichter"?

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Simon Orchard

Post by Simon Orchard » 02 Feb 2021, 22:42

The photo is a well known pre-war photo, nothing to do with Norway/Narvik

Looking at the lists of weapons held by Armee Abteilung Narvik in April 45 i find the following Austrian weapons

4 x 9mm Steyr pistols
40 x Steyr M1895 rifles
258 x MP 34
3 x 10cm Geb.H. M16

Return to “Small Arms”