M14 Rifle (LMG) ?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Tony Williams

Re: M14 Rifle (LMG) ?

Post by Tony Williams » 21 Sep 2021, 13:39

ThatZenoGuy wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 12:48
Tony Williams wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 12:22
ThatZenoGuy wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 17:04

I have heard the G3 in particular had quite the kick to it, is this true?
I have fired the lighter carbine version of the G3, with a short barrel and a folding stock. The butt was small steel pad, and the recoil was painful; It was apparently known as the "meat tenderiser" to the German troops. I was only wearing a thin summer shirt and the shoulder bruise was large, colourful and took some time to fade...
Ouch! So there might be some merit to the claim huh? Granted I'm guessing the longer barreled (and thus heavier) gun with a chunkier buttstock, and some thicker military fatigues might lessen the damage?
I never got the chance to fire one, but I would certainly expect so. Incidentally, I found the M14 quite comfortable to shoot (semi-auto only!).
Military Guns & Ammunition website https://quarryhs.co.uk

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 21 Sep 2021, 14:15

Tony Williams wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 13:39
I never got the chance to fire one, but I would certainly expect so. Incidentally, I found the M14 quite comfortable to shoot (semi-auto only!).
Any military weapons you would consider to be the most comfortable/least comfortable?

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams » 21 Sep 2021, 15:38

ThatZenoGuy wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 14:15

Any military weapons you would consider to be the most comfortable/least comfortable?
The most comfortable 5.56mm assault rifle I have fired is certainly the FN F2000 - that great fat buttstock spreads the recoil kick over a wide area of the shoulder and provides a great check weld.

My least favourite 5.56mm service weapon is the skinny little M4 - I once fired an M4 against "falling man" targets in comparison with the FN SCAR L (which is almost as good to shoot as the F2000); I hit almost every time with the FN, missed almost every time with the M4. Least favourite of all the 5.56mms was a minimalist US civilian AR-15 based carbine with a very short barrel and a skeleton stock with a tiny, hard pad for a butt. It was so uncomfortable to shoot that I was relieved to finish - a horrible, horrible device!

In 7.62mm assault rifles, the FN SCAR H is one of my least favourite; its too light for the power of the ammo and jumps around all over the place. Offhand, I can't think of a gun which would beat the M14 for comfort - that traditional wooden stock suits me very well. However, I was surprised by the Colt CM901 I got to try (that's the one designed to be convertible between 5.56mm and 7.62mm); despite having a short barrel and looking like other members of the AR-10/15 family, I actually enjoyed shooting it.

Turning to WW2 bolt-action weapons, I found it interesting to fire a 7.92mm Mauser 98 immediately after a .303 Lee Enfield No. 4. The Mauser kicked hard (not helped by a steel buttplate) while the Enfield had much softer recoil (the .303 round is quite a lot less powerful than the 7.92mm). The Enfield also had better (aperture) sights, which I found much clearer and easier to pick up the target than the Mauser's leaf sights. And of course the Enfield had double the magazine capacity and a shorter, faster bolt action. All in all, the handy Enfield was much superior as a battle rifle (although the Mauser would probably be better for a sniper).

I have fired an FG 42 (semi-auto only) - I recall being too concerned with observing the recoil and spectacular muzzle flash to notice anything else! Also a MKb42(W), semi-auto again and very comfortable to shoot with a smooth action. As was the British post-WW2 EM-2 bullpup in .280/30 calibre.
Military Guns & Ammunition website https://quarryhs.co.uk

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 21 Sep 2021, 16:22

Tony Williams wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 15:38

The most comfortable 5.56mm assault rifle I have fired is certainly the FN F2000 - that great fat buttstock spreads the recoil kick over a wide area of the shoulder and provides a great check weld.

My least favourite 5.56mm service weapon is the skinny little M4 - I once fired an M4 against "falling man" targets in comparison with the FN SCAR L (which is almost as good to shoot as the F2000); I hit almost every time with the FN, missed almost every time with the M4. Least favourite of all the 5.56mms was a minimalist US civilian AR-15 based carbine with a very short barrel and a skeleton stock with a tiny, hard pad for a butt. It was so uncomfortable to shoot that I was relieved to finish - a horrible, horrible device!

In 7.62mm assault rifles, the FN SCAR H is one of my least favourite; its too light for the power of the ammo and jumps around all over the place. Offhand, I can't think of a gun which would beat the M14 for comfort - that traditional wooden stock suits me very well. However, I was surprised by the Colt CM901 I got to try (that's the one designed to be convertible between 5.56mm and 7.62mm); despite having a short barrel and looking like other members of the AR-10/15 family, I actually enjoyed shooting it.

Turning to WW2 bolt-action weapons, I found it interesting to fire a 7.92mm Mauser 98 immediately after a .303 Lee Enfield No. 4. The Mauser kicked hard (not helped by a steel buttplate) while the Enfield had much softer recoil (the .303 round is quite a lot less powerful than the 7.92mm). The Enfield also had better (aperture) sights, which I found much clearer and easier to pick up the target than the Mauser's leaf sights. And of course the Enfield had double the magazine capacity and a shorter, faster bolt action. All in all, the handy Enfield was much superior as a battle rifle (although the Mauser would probably be better for a sniper).

I have fired an FG 42 (semi-auto only) - I recall being too concerned with observing the recoil and spectacular muzzle flash to notice anything else! Also a MKb42(W), semi-auto again and very comfortable to shoot with a smooth action. As was the British post-WW2 EM-2 bullpup in .280/30 calibre.
Awesome experiences! Thank you a lot Tony!

Return to “Small Arms”