What are some books in English about Italian small-arms?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Hayes

What are some books in English about Italian small-arms?

Post by Hayes » 31 Oct 2021, 12:27

I've been able to find plenty of (english) reading material on Allied and German small-arms, but not much on Italian ones. What can you lads recommend? In particular I'm having trouble tracking down books that discuss their squad-automatic weapons, such as the Breda M30, so please do post if you know a publication that covers this niche.

Here's one book I'm already familiar with, which focuses on the Carcano rifle series:
The Model 1891 Carcano Rifle: A Detailed Developmental and Production History

Poot

Re: What are some books in English about Italian small-arms?

Post by Poot » 02 Nov 2021, 00:24

Rafael Riccio, Italian Small Arms of the First and Second World Wars (2014).

He covers pistols, bolt action rifles and carbines (Carcanos) and crew served small arms. For Carcanos specifically, there's also Arendell's and Woodrum's Italy's Battle Rifle, now approaching it's third edition.

Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Hayes

Post by Hayes » 02 Nov 2021, 11:28

Cheers Pat. I had actually just come across Riccio's book on Amazon, so that's definitely one for the shopping list. I'm having a bit of trouble tracking down "Italy's Battle Rifle" though, it doesn't seem to be on my usual online vendors. Would you know where it might be for sale?

Poot

Post by Poot » 02 Nov 2021, 18:05

They're still checking on whether there are enough interested parties for another printing run (10 is the threshold) at this link:
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/new-u ... 31/page-10

I believe there is a printed option and a pdf. version. I have the first edition, and it's excellent and very helpful for collectors, with close-in shots of markings, stampings, et al. There are also useful charts and other information amassed from collectors' observations. I will probably purchase the new edition as I understand some of the charts and information have been updated.

Best,
Pat

Hayes

Post by Hayes » 02 Nov 2021, 21:17

Would you say it's worth a purchase if I already own the title in my first post? (assuming you're familiar with that book). Does it cover anything that this title doesn't?

Poot

Post by Poot » 02 Nov 2021, 22:37

I believe its worth it. It does draw on information from the outstanding book you mentioned, but with a number of close-up photos in color. I believe that the current edition of Italy's Battle Rifle is in color, but I'm not 100% certain. My personal favorite is Wolfgang Riepe's Il Novantuno Mannlicher-Carcano. Das Italienische Waffensystem Modell 1891.'

If you'd like, send your email to me via forum PM and I can snap some photos of the contents of Italy's Battle Rifle for you so that you have an idea of what it's like.

Best,
Pat

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 21 Nov 2021, 16:03

I have several of these books.

Italy's Battle Rifle by Arendell and Woodrum is aimed more at the collector. Chegia and Simonelli's The Model 1891 Carcano Rifle and Wolfgang Riepe's Il Novantuno Mannlicher-Carcano are detail technical histories of the development of the rifle. Rafael Riccio's Italian Small Arms of the First and Second World Wars is a general work (with some details) that integrates the rifle with the other weapons of the Italian military.

If you have an interest in Carcano and all the various bits of kit that was used with the rifle, Arendell's book is excellent. Hundreds of photos and discussions of everything Carcano. If you wish to fully understand the why's of the rifle's development and it's true capabilities and limitations, then Chegia and Simonelli or Riepe are better. Riccio places the rifle as part of the Italian's military's effort to fight modern war.

Here is a video review of Italy's Battle Rifle.

https://youtu.be/GEBiHm-V3tc

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

G, Y?

Post by G, Y? » 28 Dec 2021, 03:53

I already told them I'm interested (and am listed)

Return to “Small Arms”