Borchardt C93 in WW2?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
tizevo

Borchardt C93 in WW2?

Post by tizevo » 18 Nov 2021, 14:24

Hello,

There is a claim on the Wikipedia article for this pistol that the C93 was in use up to 1945. However, I can find no books that verify that. Does anyone know if examples of this pistol were still used in some capacity up through WW2, or is this article just mistaken? My only theory is that they might have been a last-ditch weapon for German militias, or possibly used by some regional troops in a country like China (which had been buying arms during the 1920s-30s from pretty much everywhere). But like I said, I have found no evidence of this.

Thanks in advance.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Borchardt C93 in WW2?

Post by Hans1906 » 19 Nov 2021, 15:36

tizevo, thanks for your interesting question,

Borchardt C93 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borchardt_C93

This semi-automatic handgun was, and is extremely rare. A later use in the Wehrmacht, the Waffen-SS, and the final Volkssturm before 1945 is not finally documented.
I think it is very unlikely, that this collector's weapon was used, or even surrendered, by an owner at that time for purposes of national defense.
These weapons remained in private hands; a "Göring" would never have left one of his very valuable hunting weapons to the Volkssturm, never.

Of course, a very simple comparison, but the German collectors of such weapons were very aware of what these weapons were worth even before 1945...

C93 Borchardt: the First Successful Self-Loading Pistol

Unfortunately, no better answer from my side. :wink:

* Is one of those guns you never just found in a septic tank, ever.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

mikel

Post by mikel » 20 Nov 2021, 22:08

Pretty unbelievable they would have had any actual use.
Possible incidentally-who knows?
Regarding surrender, I have a nice older Drilling brought home by a neighbor I worked for.
He said it was handed over to him in some forgotten town by an old man taking it to a collection point as directed.
Again, who knows? But entirely possible.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 23 Nov 2021, 01:19

mikel,

imagine one of the extremly rare so-called german "Luftwaffe-Drilling" emergency-landing/hunting rifles:
Link: Drilling M30 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drilling_M30

For a possible identification of one of the extremely rare originals, please have a look at the high resolution photos on the homepage of the German company J.P. Sauer und Sohn / Museum:

Link: https://www.sauer.de/270-jahre/museumswaffen/
Sroll down to the section Luftwaffendrilling M30

The few rifles, that have survived, are almost priced in pure gold worldwide, and fetch exorbitant collector prices, in any condition.
Not to speak of a complete set in the original Luftwaffe transport case...

Our german schoolmate Lutz, took a Sauer & Sohn Drilling to a one year hunting trip to Alaska in the 1980s, a vital hunting rifle, in some situations there, long ago.
Lutz borrowed the Drilling from his father, the very best decision in his life, for himself, and his female travel partner Anke back then.

Very certainly the best hunting rifle ever produced, unsurpassed, without question.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

mikel

Post by mikel » 13 Mar 2022, 02:42

I helped with a friends FIL estate a while back.
Interesting accumulation of stuff.
There was a LW Drilling with case and accessories in very nice shape. Despite my caution, the widow took less than 1/2 it's worth from a conniving opportunist "collector."
The only example I ever saw in the wild.

Return to “Small Arms”