German Use of Captured High Standard HDM Pistols?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Hideyosho

German Use of Captured High Standard HDM Pistols?

Post by Hideyosho » 27 Feb 2022, 18:50

Hello everyone, it's been quite a long time I haven't made an inquiry here.

I'm asking today basically what the Title says: If the Germans made use of captured High Standard HDM pistols.

I know the High Standard HDM was issued to OSS agents since the North African campaign, and that, most likely, captured pistols could have been trialed by the Germans, and perhaps even used by them. I'd say that Brandenburgers, anti-partisan units, and reconnaissance patrols might have been said users of HDM pistols.

Perhaps it may not be a very uncommon thought, since the Germans captured Welrod pistols and other clandestine equipment for Allied agents and resistance fighters across Europe. The most popular case I know of is the use of suppressed Sten submachine guns by Brandenburgers, and even Otto Skorzeny himself.

I know, also, that the Germans had in their stocks .22 Long Rifle ammunition, so usage of (hypothetically) captured HDM pistols may not be that far from being real.

What I am not sure about is that, if said pistols were, indeed, used by German units or special groups, how common was this scenario? Sadly, since the pistols are part of what clandestine operations are, very little information should be surviving until these days. Also, the fact that HDM pistols were, apparently, only used by OSS agents (and, maybe, SOE agents), would have made them a fairly rare sight, unless said pistols were used by other Allied groups or units, such as reconnaissance patrols and the such (would like to have more insights about this point, since it could make a difference between how common said pistols were used by the Germans, if so).

What do you think of this? Would like to hear your opinions.

Have all a great day.

JoeW

Re: German Use of Captured High Standard HDM Pistols?

Post by JoeW » 07 Mar 2022, 17:31

Interesting question. I hve seen a listing of captured weapons in the RSHA arsenal at Stutthof, and while Stens are listed, no Hi Standard pistols were listed. I don ‘t think the stndard .22 rifle ammo used by the Germans would have sufficed as they produced special .22 ammo for their .22 lr commercially sold pistols. Then again, they worked developing suppresed sound .32 acp pistols like the Cz 27.

Return to “Small Arms”