20 mm API Schrage musik Cannon round

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Cultus

20 mm API Schrage musik Cannon round

Post by Cultus » 11 Apr 2022, 18:35

While digging up the remnants of my uncle’s Halifax bomber we found an intact 20 mm API cannon round. I have three questions for any experts out there . First, can someone explain how this round, which looks to be solid steel with a hollow core where phosphorus was packed, would work when fired into the wing of a bomber where there was no armour plating? Second, how would this steel round break apart thereby releasing the core of phosphorus to burn wherever it hit? And finally, was there a “typical sequence” of loading of 20 mm rounds for the Schrage musik cannon or was it up to the pilot to choose his preferred sequence for the armourers to load up the drums? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: 20 mm API Schrage musik Cannon round

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Apr 2022, 19:32

Cultus,

the so-called "Schräge Musik" is well known with former german "Luftwaffe".
Oblique music - also oblique night music - is the name of a German weapon technology at the time of the Second World War, in which machine guns or machine guns were installed in a night fighter, directed at an angle forward and upwards. With the help of the "weird music" British night bombers, which did not have a downward-acting weaponry, were to be shot down without having to endanger themselves.

The name is a play on words and was derived from the oblique arrangement of the weapons and because jazz was described as oblique by Nazi propaganda. "Weird Night Music" is the allusion to its use in night fighters.

I remember the topic from some German books, the fighter pilot Wolfgang Späte, who I personally knew, probably also used this new technology for the attacks on Allied bomber formations at the time.

Schräge Musik https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schräge_Musik

Many legends and rumors still surround this technology today, as do many books, as a non-air force expert, please don't allow myself a better answer...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 16 Apr 2022, 14:17

Video:

Bob Jubb - The German night fighter “Schrage Musik” ("Schräge Musik")

Mentioned here in the forum before...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 20 Apr 2022, 03:31

IF it is API/-T the shell has no fuze, Its Phosphorous filling activates once the shell breaks up while penetrating
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Grzesio

Post by Grzesio » 20 Apr 2022, 09:56

There were numerous variants of the API or APHE shells for 2 cm aircraft cannons, how did you identify yours as an API filled with phosphorous, i.e. the 2 cm Pzbrgr. (Phosphor) o. Zerl.?

Return to “Small Arms”