Shotguns in WW2

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Hans1906
Banned

Re: Shotguns in WW2

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Dec 2022, 13:42

Thank you for your posts, and sorry for the term "prosimians".

This was poorly chosen, given the merciless carnage on all sides of the parties at the time.

I beg your pardon for that.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Dec 2022, 16:11

The only "Shotgun" used on the german side in WW2 was the so-called "Drilling M30", also reffered to as the "Luftwaffe Drilling".

Drilling M30 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drilling_M30

Produced by the german company "J. P. Sauer & Sohn" by the highest quality standards.
A typical german hunting weapon for a "Drückjagd", also common with many german hunters in Africa, Kanada, Alaska, etc.

Some kind of a "Survival Weapon", whatever this is means...

Hans
P.S. An original "Drilling M30" is rare, and very expensive, if to find one at all.
A "Drilling" hunting rifle was always very exclusive, no stuff for ordinary hunters, at least here in Germany.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 11 Dec 2022, 12:10

Hans1906 wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 16:11
The only "Shotgun" used on the german side in WW2 was the so-called "Drilling M30", also reffered to as the "Luftwaffe Drilling".

Drilling M30 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drilling_M30

Produced by the german company "J. P. Sauer & Sohn" by the highest quality standards.
A typical german hunting weapon for a "Drückjagd", also common with many german hunters in Africa, Kanada, Alaska, etc.

Some kind of a "Survival Weapon", whatever this is means...

Hans
P.S. An original "Drilling M30" is rare, and very expensive, if to find one at all.
A "Drilling" hunting rifle was always very exclusive, no stuff for ordinary hunters, at least here in Germany.
Man the Drilling is such a beautiful weapon. Side by side shotgun with a glorified elephant gun barrel beneath the two.

Utter overkill unless you're hunting a Rhino. XD

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Dec 2022, 15:03

Hi ThatZenoGuy,

you are right, my dear german schoolfriend Lutz got his fathers "Sauer & Sohn" Drilling hunting weapon in the 1980s for a one year stay in Alaska.
Lutz and his ladyfriend Anke spent a whole year in Alaska, several months of it in a hunting lodge in the middle of nowhere, dropped off by a bush pilot.

A lifelong dream for our two friends, unfortunately it turned into a personal nightmare.

But the "Drilling" hunting weapon proved itself very well back then, and not just once.
Our friend received many offers for his very valuable rifle, the hunting friends there in Alaska were more than fascinated by this hunting rifle, but that would be a memory for a very long time... :wink:

https://www.sauer.de

Video: (E) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zFeqEFmxI0 (Excellent video!)

Hans

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Dec 2022, 21:05

As a brief explanation, our friend Lutz got lost in the Alaskan wilderness, and only returned to the hunting lodge after a good two days.

His girlfriend Anke went through heaven and hell during these two days, completely alone in the middle of the wilderness.
There were no radios, nothing, the young lady felt left alone for a good 48 hours.

Such an experience destroys everything, all love, all trust.
Lutz said to me later one long evening: "I don't know how I found my way back to the hut, without orientation, Anke and I were extremely lucky in this situation."

Lutz had the hunting rifle with him, Anke was sitting in the hut with a small caliber german pistol.

There is a good German proverb: "Whoever goes into danger, dies in it!" :wink:

Hans

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 16 Dec 2022, 03:53

Now that we have drifted off to hunting weapons, what would be German language terms for a two barrel weapon. One barrel with rifling. A Drilling also, or some other name?

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 16 Dec 2022, 06:21

Drilling shotgun with scope.
Attachments
Shotgun and scope.jpg

lendie

Post by lendie » 19 Dec 2022, 06:04

Side x Side = Buechs Flinte,
Over Under = Bock Buechs Flinte
Dieter

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 19 Dec 2022, 08:38

Danke

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 30 Dec 2022, 16:15

Hi Carl,

Single barrel shotgun: Flinte
Shotgun with two adjacent barrels: Doppelflinte
Shotgun with two stacked barrels: Bockflinte / Doppelbockflinte
Hunting rifle with two shotgun barrels and one rifle barrel: Drilling

The combinations are varied, a very complex subject, the typical "Drilling" was and still is the the tip of these hunting weapons, for pure hunting of big game, only rifles without shotgun barrels are traditionally used, whatever the caliber...

"Bockbüchsflinte" https://www.blaser.de/produkte/waffen/k ... 95-bbf-97/ :wink:
(The "Blaser" is perfect for a so-called "Shotgun Slug") (Boar Hunt)

The topic is very confusing, but one should stick to the correct designations.

Hans
Last edited by Hans1906 on 30 Dec 2022, 17:13, edited 4 times in total.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 30 Dec 2022, 16:26

Hi Larrister,

thank you for the interesting photo, it is well known that private hunting rifles were used as sniper weapons on the German side of World War I,
but there are only a few photographic proofs, unfortunately I can't think of more at the moment.

Please just assume that the officer at the time provided "fleshly enrichment" for the field kitchen after 1939, then the photo would make sense.

Hans

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 02 Jan 2023, 18:12

Addendum:

A so-called "Vierling" (Four-Barreld) hunting rifle is also known from several manufacturers, I have never seen such a weapon myself, the weapons are extremely expensive:

Hausmann Vierling: https://hausmann-co-guns.com/en/guns/the-vierling/

Nothing is too expensive for some hunters, and these hunting guns were and are of course objects of prestige. :wink:
By the way, I am against big game hunting, there is no point in traveling around the world to shoot big game.
The hunters do not hunt for meat, only for the "kick" of killing, such a thing is unacceptable.

Vierling Jagdwaffe: https://www.google.com/search?q=vierlin ... =759&dpr=1

Perhaps some of you know that Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Este shot a good 250.000 wild animals before he was murdered.
A trigger-addicted mental patient, years ago, in a 90-minute documentary, this topic was addressed...

It's hard to imagine, but just as true, the documentary also mentioned Göring, Honecker and Mielke, who loved to shoot en masse deer, totally sick megalomaniacs...

If that says nothing about a person's character, what else..?

Hans

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 02 Jan 2023, 22:10

Hans1906 wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 18:12

Perhaps some of you know that Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Este shot a good 250.000 wild animals before he was murdered.
A trigger-addicted mental patient, years ago, in a 90-minute documentary, this topic was addressed...

It's hard to imagine, but just as true, the documentary also mentioned Göring, Honecker and Mielke, who loved to shoot en masse deer, totally sick megalomaniacs...

If that says nothing about a person's character, what else..?

Hans

CIGS Brooke was their opponent & spent his time birdwatching, recording his observations in a diary. Draw your own conclusions.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 02 Jan 2023, 22:34

Der schießwütigste Habsburger
With 274,899 animals killed (!), the former heir to the throne Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Este is likely to remain the world record holder in the strange guild of hunting enthusiasts. On board the ship Empress Elisabeth, with which he undertook his famous world voyage in 1892/93, he only regretted that he was not allowed to kill whales with the ship's cannon.
Source: https://www.diepresse.com/1403637/der-s ... habsburger

There are hundreds of reports about this sick and insane Austrian, who was finally shot himself, with just two shots from a pistol.
Whether I approve of that, is another question...

Killing was his passion, think about it how you like, the man was ill.
There's no point in talking about insane megalomaniacs, it gets nowhere, but they all ended in the right way.

Hans

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 02 Jan 2023, 23:06

Well, My Doppelflinte, or Buchsflinte, or whatever is a good looking weapon, light to carry & well balanced. I've considered it unsafe for modern ammunition & possibly for reproduction ammo & will never fire it. Perhaps I'll sell it & the accompanying Belgian Grueny shotgun in a few years, or pass it along to some relative.

Return to “Small Arms”