"bended" barrel...?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
compnor

"bended" barrel...?

Post by compnor » 17 Jul 2003, 00:55

Hi, can anyone help me out here... I know the Germans had a rifle during WW2 with a 'bended' barrel for cornering trees, houses, etc. But I can't remember the type of the specific weapon... can anyone help?

thanks!
compnor

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 17 Jul 2003, 01:12

It was for the St.G. 44

Christian

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 17 Jul 2003, 17:23

leslie9958

Ammunition for curved barrel machine Guns

Post by leslie9958 » 17 Jul 2003, 19:09

I have oft times thought of these guns and just why they were not more often used! It would appear that they needed a not very accurate "spray" effect to achieve their purpose and therefore just why not use round (ball)ammunition so as not to destroy the barrel Anyone who has bent a tube knows that the inside diameter does not stay round but assumes an oval or ellipse shape. With this in mind the shot has to be round but of a smaller diameter than the smallest portion of the barrel. The lack of round shot may have been one of the reasons for the failure of this type of M.G. I cannot see why this type of M.G. should not be of some use if the "shotgun" effect is taken into account. I wonder if the Germans took this into account. I also believe that shotguns would be very effective if manufactured this way! Rifling is of little use in this type of weapon.

M.L. Anderson

Return to “Small Arms”