MG42

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
nihil

Post by nihil » 21 Aug 2003, 05:30

The MG42 is an awesome weapon! They are even still used to this day, the danish army still uses them under the name MG64, of course they have changed the caliber to 7.62, but everything else should be just like the models produced back during the war. They are both being used for infantry squads and as veichle mounted weapons, although they are being phased out as squad weapons, in favour for some armalite variant. I was told that they are quite bad as infantry weapons, because they just ate the ammo too fast, but on veichles, they were wonderful because of the high rate of fire. If im not wrong, the bundeswehr also use the MG42 (under the name of mg3, also with 7.62), today, both as squad weapons and as veichle mounts, also in the BWm they are being phased out as squad weapons in favour of some new HK lmg, named MG43 (http://www.hkpro.com/mg43.htm). im really impressed with much of the equipment the WH used, the models are still being used today, with minor improvements. Ahh, the quality of german engenieering :)

ratdog
Banned

Post by ratdog » 21 Aug 2003, 12:01

Leibstandarte_reenactor, you don't need an FFL to get a Class III weapon in the US. The process is you must submit to a background check by your local authorities after having been fingerprinted. This is then submitted to the Treasury Dept. with a tax payment of 200$. When buying these German auto weapons, the 200$ is the cheap part of the deal. When you are OK'd by the ATF, you receive a license (Form 4) to own that gun. Of course, not all states allow ownership of a Class III weapon. The guy who sells you the weapon must have an FFL and an additional license to sell auto weapons. My MP40 was bought from a guy who had a C&R license, they are allowed to transfer Class III weapons also.
The tripod weighs in at 45 lbs, the gun weighs 26 lbs., not a "light" MG in my opinion, as designated by the Germans.

Wulpe

Post by Wulpe » 21 Aug 2003, 18:38

In Austria the MG 74 is used. It´s based on the MG 42, but the fire rate was lowered to 850 rpm and it was converted to 7.62 mm NATO. I fired it several times, and it´s an incredible accurate weapon when mounted on the tripod, especially with the optical aim attached.

Picture

Return to “Small Arms”