silenced weapons!

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
+german+

silenced weapons!

Post by +german+ » 19 Aug 2003, 12:13

Hi a have read the topic about silenced weapons for a while now and decided to write you about what i think about this!
So....the speed of sound is aprox. 600 m/s and a rifle(for ex. a Mauser K98 Karbine) shoots the bullet at aprox. 1500 m/s (sic!)(that's pretty damn fast :) ) so it is supersonic! For ex. if you are standing at 1000 m in plain ground and someone shoots at you whith a K98 sniper rifle you will be hit by the bullet and then hear the sound blast of the gun( so you're dead before you hear anything :) )- well that's quite silent for me :) . Another thing, i think i have read something about this in my youth and i know that at great speeds(more than the speed of sound) projectiles tend to be a little unstable(like missing targets and so on...). That's why the barrel of the rifle has a specific design that gives the bullet a rotation movement that stabilizes him(isn't that right?). So thats your answer!Someone has wrote that whaen the bullet breaks the sound barrier there will be a "bang". Well, i don't think is wright! The bullet has a small volume and a small mass so whebn it's supersonic you'll hear only a slight "wheeezing" when it passes by you.IT is not a supersonic plane :) (that's a "bang"!).
The sound of a shoot isn't done by the bullet himself, but by the gases that expand quickly liberating energy against the air molecules to create a sound! So the silencer is maked to absorb that energy so the sound will be weaker ( that doesn't mean that the bullet isn't supersonic!) This is just like shooting thru a pillow pressed to the barrel(more quieter!).
If i wrote some rubbish in this topic please corect me!
I am very interessted in the tema! :P

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 19 Aug 2003, 12:34

For a silenced weapon to work efficiently it must use 'sub-sonic' ammunition, i.e. 'downloaded' cartridges. That's why most silencers are used on pistols/revolvers and some sub-machine guns as pistol cartridges have a lower muzzle-velocity than their rifle cousins. The expanding gas makes a noise - that's what the silencer does, it muffles by absorbing and then releasing the gases more slowly. Revolvers also have some escape of gas between barrel and cylinder - thus automatics are preffered in the 'silent game'. Your parabole about shooting through a pillow - is spot on. If u do that - and with subsonic ammunition and pillow embracing the entire pistol - there will be very little sound.

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 19 Aug 2003, 14:02

Here is a small report done by the German "Waffenamt" regarding the silenced Stengun.
Attachments
mp1.JPG
mp1.JPG (44.82 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
MP.JPG
MP.JPG (74.04 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 19 Aug 2003, 17:00

However, if the gun powder itself burns slower than the speed of sound, you will get a completely silent weapon (except for the 'click' and 'wsssss' when you fire it (the hammer hitting the bullet, and the gunpowder burning and bullet moving), and the 'argh' when you hit the person...)

This renders the supresser useless, but would probably also give a rather slowly moving bullet.

we could also do it the other way around - make the 'bang' so loud (150-180Db), that it'll make people deaf, and thus subsequent shots will be silent. If the bang is more than 200Db, the sound itself will kill you, and this could of course be used as well. Neither of the solutions are user friendly, though... :P

Christian

+german+

Post by +german+ » 22 Aug 2003, 11:43

Hey you maked me laugh whith your reply Christian! :)
I have a better idea: Let's use an archer with a dynamite binded to the arrow (greater damage and very,very silent! :lol:

Hans N

Post by Hans N » 22 Aug 2003, 12:09

LMAO!!!!!!!!! :lol:

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 22 Aug 2003, 13:18

Thanks Erik E for that German manual on the silenced STEN. I notice, reading the text that despite the stove-pipe dimensions of the silencer - it will STILL make a noise like it was shooting .22's. They omitted to say wether they meant .22 Long Rifle or .22 BB Caps but since the former is the by far most common - I assume they meant that and that REALLY, it was not a silenced weapon in the true meaning of the word.

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 22 Aug 2003, 19:43

varjag wrote:[...]They omitted to say wether they meant .22 Long Rifle or .22 BB Caps [...]
"Zielmunition 5,6mm" is .22 Long Rifle.

Regards
Mark

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 23 Aug 2003, 13:26

nondescript handle wrote:
varjag wrote:[...]They omitted to say wether they meant .22 Long Rifle or .22 BB Caps [...]
"Zielmunition 5,6mm" is .22 Long Rifle.

Regards
Mark
Thank you Mark for that post - I thought as much.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 23 Aug 2003, 23:31

+german+,

The speed of sound depends on the temperature and the thickness of air. 340m/s is AFAIK the "normal" figure.

Best regards, Juha

WikingSoldat

Post by WikingSoldat » 25 Aug 2003, 09:04

To get a silent weapon you need two things.
1. silencer that takes care of the burning gunpowder.
2. A bullet that is no faster than 340 m/s

This is why a standard rifle fails. The bullet is to fast 800 - 1100 m/s.
If the bullet breaks the sound barrier, no silencer will help.

WikingSoldat

Return to “Small Arms”