Panzerfausts Failing To Work

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
gavmeister13

Panzerfausts Failing To Work

Post by gavmeister13 » 06 Jan 2005 15:47

in last laurels it mentions a leutnant using a pfaust to destory a soviet tank. the first one misfired as did the second and third. he then picked up another two ran for cover and when he tried to fire found that neither worked. within 30 mins he found 5 pfaust that did not fire. some others were dropped but didnt have the charge in. was this factory sabotage or just a case of factories rushing them out without checking quality?

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 08 Jan 2005 13:06

Could be either or. I have corresponded with a Waffen-SS veteran who mentioned factory sabotaged Panzerfäuste.

Best regards/ Daniel

ÜberChad

Re: Panzerfausts Failing To Work

Post by ÜberChad » 09 Jan 2005 02:56

gavmeister13 wrote:in last laurels it mentions a leutnant using a pfaust to destory a soviet tank. the first one misfired as did the second and third. he then picked up another two ran for cover and when he tried to fire found that neither worked. within 30 mins he found 5 pfaust that did not fire. some others were dropped but didnt have the charge in. was this factory sabotage or just a case of factories rushing them out without checking quality?
I'd hate to be that guy.....

though yea its probably both reasons that you mentioned

Artie Bucco

Post by Artie Bucco » 09 Jan 2005 03:17

However, panzerfaust were not totally problem-free: The detonator proved the weak point of panzerfaust. If the detonator didn't work the weapon didn't launch the projectile when trigger button was pushed. Finnish soldiers discovered that it easily malfunctioned after getting wet and some of the detonators were duds from the beginning.

from-http://www.ankkurinvarsi.com

gavmeister13

Post by gavmeister13 » 09 Jan 2005 10:37

so who was working in the factories? i take it foreign workers were used this late in the war [1944-45]

cbo

Post by cbo » 09 Jan 2005 17:08

gavmeister13 wrote:in last laurels it mentions a leutnant using a pfaust to destory a soviet tank. the first one misfired as did the second and third. he then picked up another two ran for cover and when he tried to fire found that neither worked. within 30 mins he found 5 pfaust that did not fire. some others were dropped but didnt have the charge in. was this factory sabotage or just a case of factories rushing them out without checking quality?
The Panzerfaust was often defective. I dont really believe in the "sabotage" argument, I think it was more a problem of cheap and primitive weapons being produced at breakneck speed under difficult circumstances.
In the last months of 1944, more than a million panzerfausts were made each month. The Waffenamt rejected 5.5% of the production as they recieved them and many additional thousands were rejected by the troops, the worst case being 247.200 Panzerfausts of the July 1944 production already delived being called back by the factory. Waffenamt rejection of Panzerschreck ammunition was even higher at 12.9% with additional rounds being sent back from the front as defective.

Claus B

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 11 Jan 2005 02:13

[quote="cboThe Panzerfaust was often defective. I dont really believe in the "sabotage" argument, I think it was more a problem of cheap and primitive weapons being produced at breakneck speed under difficult circumstances.

Claus B[/quote]

Exactly, There is also the point that the panzerfaust was a one shot throw away weapon, so there is going to be a big trade off between the quality of components(production costs) compared to reusable weapons . A high quality one-shot weapon is waste.
I noticed this myself with "modern day :roll: " LAW Rockets, which are identical in concept.

Plus such cheap weapons are less well treated or stored by soldiers. You bring your rifle out the rain/snow/dirt, a panzerfaust you might leave outside, besides it might "blow up".

Desert Foxas

Post by Desert Foxas » 21 Jan 2006 21:21

I've heard a story, that some soldiers were collecting used Panzerfaust tubes and sended them back to factories. Could this be true?

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 21 Jan 2006 21:41

Yes, the tubes could be reloaded. Wehre did you hear/read about this?

Best regards/ Daniel

Desert Foxas

Post by Desert Foxas » 22 Jan 2006 16:37

I found this long time ago, on lithuanian forum antraspasaulinis.net. No exact source, sorry.

All the best,

Gedas.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 22 Jan 2006 18:59

Inthe instruction booklets, the soldiers were encouraged to bring back the used barrels, by receiving a reward for doing so.

M.Rausch

Post by M.Rausch » 23 Jan 2006 10:28

was this factory sabotage or just a case of factories rushing them out without checking quality?
The main reason was improper handling by the frontline units. There are plenty of original German reports about dud Panzerfausts together with an examination of the reasons for failure. In most cases it was caused by water getting in the fuze. After the troops were instructed to spend more attention how they stored their Panzerfausts, the number of duds decreased noticeably.

Wrong use caused also duds for the Panzerschreck, since before firing the "Vorstecker" had to be pulled to arm the warhead and soldiers forgot it often at the beginning. Hence a new fuze without "Vorstecker" was introduced.
I've heard a story, that some soldiers were collecting used Panzerfaust tubes and sended them back to factories. Could this be true?
I have a copy of a report of the Heereswaffenamt from 1944 about the improvements made to the Panzerfaust. The launcher barrel was changed the way, that it could be used about ten times.

Desert Foxas

Post by Desert Foxas » 24 Jan 2006 14:13

10 times? Could that tube still fire the grenade properly? What about the quality of that gun? And what was the reward for bringing used tubes back to factories?

M.Rausch

Post by M.Rausch » 24 Jan 2006 14:22

Could that tube still fire the grenade properly? What about the quality of that gun?
The changes to the tube were made to ensure, that a warhead could be fired properly about 10 times from the same barrel. In difference to a RPG today, the placement of a new warhead was made only in factory. In the factory were all the tools needed to ensure, that the new warhead was fired also properly.

Desert Foxas

Post by Desert Foxas » 24 Jan 2006 14:42

Could you still share your report? :)

Return to “Small Arms”