Another unknown General

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Rolf2

Another unknown General

Post by Rolf2 » 19 Aug 2017, 15:52

I have another General without a name. Who is?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Attachments
general.jpg
general.jpg (131.75 KiB) Viewed 960 times

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Re: Another unknown General

Post by Glenn2438 » 19 Aug 2017, 20:17

Rolf,

Württemberg Generalmajor Gustav Köhler.

Regards
Glenn

hselassi

Post by hselassi » 19 Aug 2017, 22:55

Glenn2438 wrote:Rolf,

Württemberg Generalmajor Gustav Köhler.

Regards
Glenn
Glenn,

If I may ask, how are you able to answer these questions so quickly? I would assume Rolf isn't sending out well known officers, so your turnaround is great. Do you use "picture-matching" software, do you visually check them against your records, or do you narrow the possibilities based on uniform/medals and move on from there?

/s Harry

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Post by Glenn2438 » 20 Aug 2017, 08:44

Harry,

"picture matching" - now there's a thought. No, I am afraid it is just old fashioned detective work and as you say based primarily on the combination of uniform and awards. Of course, having a portrait of an individual already in order to make a visual comparison greatly aids the certainty of a positive ID. In the case of General Köhler, it is immediately apparent from the precedence of his awards that he was a Württemberger. And there were not too many senior officers in that contingent with a Waldeck Merit Cross and a Swedish Sword Order Knight's Cross. Here he is in a pre-war photograph (Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg) as a Major in Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 13.

Regards
Glenn
Attachments
Köhler FAR 13.jpg

Rolf2

Post by Rolf2 » 22 Aug 2017, 23:39

Congratulations Glenn

Dave Danner

Post by Dave Danner » 24 Aug 2017, 00:43

In the case of General Köhler, it is immediately apparent from the precedence of his awards that he was a Württemberger.
Glenn,

I noticed something in comparing the photos. The combination in the photo as a general screams Württemberger, but the precedence is basically Prussian wartime (war decorations, then Prussian peacetime, then others), although I guess a "pure" Prussian precedence (say that three times very fast) would place the WM3 after the Centenary.

The medal bar in your photo as a major follows Württemberg precedence, with the Prussian awards after all the Württemberg ones. Somewhat interesting that it was remounted differently during the war.

Dave

Return to “Imperial Germany”