Hptm Benno Schmidt IR 155

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Söderbaum

Hptm Benno Schmidt IR 155

Post by Söderbaum » 02 Aug 2018 10:39

Hi

I am searching possible date and place of birth for Hptm Benno Schmidt from IR 155.
Circa 1920 he was living in Löwenberg in Schlesien so he might have a connection to this area.

Anyone who can help ?

Gunnar

Svennie

Re: Hptm Benno Schmidt IR 155

Post by Svennie » 10 Aug 2018 18:14

Hi Gunnar,

I have the regimental history for IR 155 here at home, but unfortunately it is very uninformative on personal data for officers. Apart from that, there are only two Schmidts mentioned in the Stellenbesetzung throughout the years, and both do not seem to match:
- Major Schmidt, commander of I./IR 155 already in 1914, retired as a colonel
- Leutnant der Landwehr Schmidt who was in the regiment 1917-1918.

The regimental records were destroyed in WW II so no help from that side either. You don't happen to have an indication of the time he served in the regiment or his other assignment?

Best regards
Sven

Söderbaum

Post by Söderbaum » 14 Aug 2018 21:10

Hi Svennie

I have been on vacation so I could not answer earlier.

He apparently joined IR 155 during 1907 as he was promoted Lt on 21.07.1908. This was his home Regiment until ca 1920 as I dont have any indication that he joined Reichwehr.

Some who have first Benno actually have Bernhard on their birth certificate, but this havent helped me so far to find him.

Maybe you need to find an Stammliste for this Regiment to find him as he apparently not is mentioned in the Regiment book, thanks for checking.

Gunnar

Svennie

Post by Svennie » 15 Aug 2018 06:18

Hi Gunnar,

thanks, this helped, but we also have a new mystery.
Schmidt appears in the 1909 Rangliste for the first time (I overlooked him there, apologies)
1909: 6.Kp

1910: 6.Kp

1911: 1. Kp

1912: 2.Kp

1913: 2. Kp

But then in the 1914 Rangliste (still in peacetime) he is nog longer listed. Usually the footnotes state the reason why an officer left the regiment, but Schmidt is not mentioned. So maybe the regimental history makes an error here: I do not have the 1914 Rangliste at home, so you could probably check this with some forum members who read this particular board closely. If the 1914 Rangliste also not states anything, I suppose the error was made by the authors of the Rangliste. Probably not strange given how many Schmidts must have served. Your remaining method would then be to check the entire Militar-Wochenblatt 1913-1914 to see if there is any mention of Schmidt being pensioned off, or transferred to another regiment or so. But these editions are not online, and its a timeconsuming task. Anyway: it seems likely that prior to the start of the war he was out of IR 155.
To save you a lot of time: try to contact Andrew Baus on this forum, He has a huge database of Prussian officers with much of their career data. He may have something on Schmidt.

For now, this is the best I can offer you. Hope it helps. Good luck with the research.
Sven

Return to “Imperial Germany”