Cases of minorities being treated well in Imperial Germany?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Futurist

Cases of minorities being treated well in Imperial Germany?

Post by Futurist » 16 Sep 2020, 02:53

Were there any cases of ethnic and/or religious minorities being treated well in Imperial Germany in the pre-World War I decades? If so, which ones?

Tanzania

Re: Cases of minorities being treated well in Imperial Germany?

Post by Tanzania » 16 Sep 2020, 11:56

The reverse question; “whether there were ethnic or religious groups that were badly treated”;
would tend to sound less, -and thus want to predetermine one result less.

Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 16 Sep 2020, 13:41

Perhaps a better question might be, "Did minorities in imperial Germany have any legal protections for their distinct identities and were these adhered to and repected by the authorities?"

A useful test is often whether state schooling provided for education in a minority language to secondary school or university level.

Cheers,

Sid.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 16 Sep 2020, 20:10

Tanzania wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 11:56
The reverse question; “whether there were ethnic or religious groups that were badly treated”;
would tend to sound less, -and thus want to predetermine one result less.

Cheers Holger
The reason that I phrased my question this why is because to my knowledge Imperial Germany generally didn't treat its minorities very well; this applied to the Poles, Alsatians, Lorrainers, Catholics (specifically during the Kulturkampf), possibly the Danes, et cetera. So, it wasn't irrational to ask which minorities in Imperial Germany were treated well as opposed to asking which minorities in Imperial Germany were treated poorly.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 16 Sep 2020, 20:10

Sid Guttridge wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 13:41
Perhaps a better question might be, "Did minorities in imperial Germany have any legal protections for their distinct identities and were these adhered to and repected by the authorities?"

A useful test is often whether state schooling provided for education in a minority language to secondary school or university level.

Cheers,

Sid.
Yes, this could also be a good way to phrase this question.

Return to “Imperial Germany”