Successful Sinkings By German Floatplanes,1916-1918

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Edward L. Hsiao

Successful Sinkings By German Floatplanes,1916-1918

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 25 Aug 2019, 08:30

I don't know if it's been talked about in this forum or other forums but is there a list of known successful sinking of ships by German floatplanes during WWI especially on the North Sea and Baltic Sea. I don't know if there were confirmations of enemy submarines sunk by German floatplanes during WWI.
By the way,I don't know if there was a successful German floatplane crew that sunk more than one enemy ship during WWI. Do you know?

Edward L. Hsiao

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Successful Sinkings By German Floatplanes,1916-1918

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 30 Aug 2019, 07:03

Anything yet of where I can look for ship sinkings by German floatplanes during WWI? I did however looked up that subject at www.theaerodrome.com which was not much. Any information yet on this subject?

Edward L. Hsiao

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 31 Aug 2019, 00:19

I seem to recall it was 3-5 ships by torpedo. The aerodrome had a thread or two with details.

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 31 Aug 2019, 01:11

hi,

British submarine C 25 was heavily damaged off Harwich by German seaplanes on July 6, 1918
http://britsub.x10.mx/html/boats/c_class/c25.html

On August 11, 1918, off the Dutch island Ameland, German seaplanes from Borkum sank the three motor torpedo boats CMB 40, CMB 42 and CMB 47 and damaged three others, two of them so severely that they had to withdraw into a Dutch port where they were interned
http://www.naval-history.net/WW1LossesBrRNA-L.htm

greetings, the pb
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 31 Aug 2019, 22:33

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/w ... ir_Service

TORPOSTAFFEL I

At Zeebrugge Seeflugstation it became clear that it would be interesting to dispose of a unit that could attack enemy ships and warships in an effective way. And what could better be used for that purpose than torpedo's? It even seems that the Seeflugstation F1andern I had some experience in the field. The Torpedostaffel I was re-established on the 1st September 1917 at F1ensburg and arrived on the 4th of September at Zeebrugge. On the 9th they already had their first success. North-west of their base they attacked a steamer and did hit the ship twice. As the ship only measured 440 BRT, it is probably needless to say that it sank ! ft was a British ship named the Storm and it went down 1 mile south-east of the Sunk light vessel. The unit flew Hansa Brandenburg GW's, Friedrichshafen FF41A's, Gotha WD 11 and WDII's. Commander of the unit was Lt.z.S. Max Stinsky. On the 18th September the unit left Zeebrugge and moved to Windau, where they arrived on-the 23rd of the same month, only to return to Zeebrugge on the 6th of November where they arrived on the 12th. They stayed there until the unit was disbandoned somewhere in April 1918.

TORPEDOSTAFFEL II

This unit arrived at Zeebrugge in the middle of March 1917. She was established on the 16 of that month and it's CO was Obltz.S. Hans Albrecht Wedel, a pilot. The personnel was housed in the ship Brugge, the former SS Brussels of the famous captain Fryatt, and at the same place were also staying most of the personnel members of the Seeflugstation. They were active against shipping at the North Sea and the Channel. For example early August they attacked a ship off Calais.

On the 13tb November 1917 came the order from the Marineflugchef to disbandon the unit This seems to have happened quite fast because on the 26th of that month, all the personnel that was not transferred to another unit of tbe Marinekorps had already left Zeebrugge.

The unit transferred to the Baltic attacked the Slava

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 31 Aug 2019, 22:39

https://airwar19141918.wordpress.com/ca ... ce/page/2/
Back on 19 April German seaplanes had attempted a surprise torpedo attack on the North Goodwin Drifter Division and Ramsgate harbour but failed to sink any ships. However the impact of the attack on the Admiralty was to raise fears of a series of more serious attacks. Those fears appeared realised today when a second more successful attack was carried out.

The SS Gena, a collier was sailing in the war channel north-east of Southwold when she was attacked by two Hansa Brandenberg GW seaplanes from II Torpedostaffel Zeebrugge.

One of the seaplanes successfully dropped a torpedo which struck the Gena. However, one of the downsides of these large seaplanes is the slow speeds (the GW can only do 65 miles per hour) and the fact that they have to fly close to the sea (within 25 feet) to drop the torpedo. This makes them much easier to attack.

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 23 Jan 2022, 10:45

Thanks for the contribution! I'm sorry the thanks was over two years late!

Edward L. Hsiao

Return to “Imperial Germany”