The Flying Circus

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Blue max

Post by Blue max » 19 Apr 2003 01:56

Eismeer wrote:Thats a great movie, saw it last year... :)[/quote
]

-----------------I'm glad you liked it, there arn't many movies of this period. I recently ordered the soundtrack, by Jerry Goldsmith, it is absolutely breathtaking.

The Blue Max

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 19 Apr 2003 13:32

i loved the film "blue max". george peppard (my opinion) was at his height . i remember how clear eyed and thrilled he looked as a common frontline soldier staring up at a dogfigting planes as he stood in the trenches,in the films beginning. the books, as i understand, are a trilogy, and yes even though he dies in the film, in the book he survives, and goes on to become a nazi fighter pilot and compete to win the knight's commanders cross(nick named in ww2 as the "tin kravat"). the book is also called the tin cravat. i read an internet web page posting last year by a red baron fan who actually visited poland and took photos of the red baron's family residence.(or at least on e of them). today the mansion is a make shift apartment building, cut up into seperate living quarters for a few families by the communist government. the house and museum were looted by the red army. the house looks a little run down, but is still there. the elderly residents were said to be nervous in discussing details with the tourist who took the photos. apparently they are nervous that they will lose their home to a museum or foreign buyer. who knows?

Blue max

Post by Blue max » 19 Apr 2003 15:49

joel pacheco wrote:i loved the film "blue max". george peppard (my opinion) was at his height . i remember how clear eyed and thrilled he looked as a common frontline soldier staring up at a dogfigting planes as he stood in the trenches,in the films beginning.

------------------I got the same feeling, way to go George! What a contrast and comparison, from the mud and death of the trenches, to brilliant beauty of solo flight. You are right, it was a terrific performance.

the books, as i understand, are a trilogy, and yes even though he dies in the film, in the book he survives, and goes on to become a nazi fighter pilot and compete to win the knight's commanders cross(nick named in ww2 as the "tin kravat"). the book is also called the tin cravat.

-------------------I wasn't aware of this series, I'll keep my eyes open for it, Thank you! :D

The Tin Kravat AKA The Blue Max

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 19 Apr 2003 17:50

there is a website that sells ww1 items, it has has a section devoted the the "blue max" series of books and a bio of the author. the web site owner is a personal friend of the writer who,the last time i checked the site, is still alive and living in florida.(i believe he is in his late 80's) it has a place to purchase the trilogy of books. the web site is extremely interesting and specilizes in ww1 german aviation items for sale. well worth visiting.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 19 Apr 2003 17:54

oh no! i forgot to lst the web site! here it is, rittmeister.com. sorry about that!

Blue max

Post by Blue max » 19 Apr 2003 18:31

joel pacheco wrote:oh no! i forgot to lst the web site! here it is, rittmeister.com. sorry about that!

------------------Danke Shaun, Mein Freud!

The Blue Max

Return to “Imperial Germany”