Sonder-Bataillon Hauck

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Peter H

Sonder-Bataillon Hauck

Post by Peter H » 28 Jul 2007 08:18

Has anyone heard of this unit?Sonder=Separate.

The last surviving German WW1 Erich Kästner served in this unit,July-November 1918:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_K%C3 ... WI_veteran)

webr55

Post by webr55 » 11 Oct 2007 21:53

I've been asking the same question on another forum. Nobody knows anything about this unit or has ever heard of it. It can't be an official designation, maybe they called themselves that way internally.
In any case, this Hauck must have been the commanding officer. I have looked into the 1914 ranklist, and the only halfway interesting Hauck in there is a Kriegsgerichtsrat. As Kästner was studying law later on, I'm wondering whether there is a connection.
BTW, this is the proper link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_K%C3 ... veteran%29

Regards
Chris

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Hauck

Post by Glenn2438 » 12 Oct 2007 08:07

Chris,

I don't think a Judge Advocate would have been commanding a battalion, special or otherwise. There were to my knowledge at least three Hauptmänner der Reserve and one regular Hauptmann (Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 76). The latter is shown as on the staff of the Hauptkadetten-Anstalt in the 1914 Rangliste. It would not have been unusual for a Hauptmann to be commanding a battalion.

Regards
Glenn

webr55

Post by webr55 » 12 Oct 2007 08:54

Glenn,

I have now looked into the ERL. Yes, the Hauptkadetten-Anstalt Hauck ended up as Major aD. The Kriegsgerichtsrat had been on staff XV. AK (Straßburg) and had retired ("im einstweiligen Ruhestand") - I agree, he cannot have commanded a batallion. There are however two reactivated officers:
- a Württemberger Major zD Hauck from Aschaffenburg who re-retired as Oberstlt aD -> ??
- and an Oberst aD Hauck from BezKdo Cottbus who went into BezKdo VI Berlin and died on 23.12.1924 -> probably not a Bataillon cdr either

Two other regulars made Hauptmann aD.

Regards
Chris

Return to “Imperial Germany”